Thread: General heat question.

General heat question.

I've been reading this site for a while, but this is my first trip to the forums

I've been working on building a case for a mini-PC. I ended up buying one of these motherboards off of eBay Seller's mobo info page. I think I have a layout selected, but before I make things permanent, I had a question.

The case I'm working on is made entirely out of balsa wood. I have an 80mm fan and the integrated processor fan to keep it cool, so I don't think there's a huge fire risk or anything. However, because of the layout of the case and the motherboard, there are two spots where the mobo is actually coming into contact with the wood.

If you look at This picture you can see that three corners of the mobo are the same height, and one side is not. I got around this by building rails for it to sit on, and adding a piece of balsa to the "short" corner. So, with this setup, the battery in the lower right hand corner and the ??? in the upper left are touching the rails. I don't know what it is in the upper left, but it does sit right below the VGA output, but I don't think it's the video controller. I think it's a VGA controller.

Either way, is there going to be a serious heat problem if those two components are in contact with the wood?

Thanks in advance

General heat question.

well the only heat issue should ne the CPU heatsink getting too close to the wood but just give it a good 2 inches of empty space and you should be fine.

General heat question.

Sounds good to me.

Thanks a bunch. Hopefully, I'll have some pics to post soon.

General heat question.

Either way, is there going to be a serious heat problem if those two components are in contact with the wood?
    I don't think so...but, did you applied the solution offered by cloned?

Waiting to see some pics after the change... :wink:

General heat question.

As long as there's some space it shouldn't be an issue. Based on the picture you gave us and without a pic of it in the case it's kind of hard to tell what to do.

Guests

General heat question.

I've been reading this site for a while, but this is my first trip to the forums

I've been working on building a case for a mini-PC. I ended up buying one of these motherboards off of eBay Seller's mobo info page. I think I have a layout selected, but before I make things permanent, I had a question.

The case I'm working on is made entirely out of balsa wood. I have an 80mm fan and the integrated processor fan to keep it cool, so I don't think there's a huge fire risk or anything. However, because of the layout of the case and the motherboard, there are two spots where the mobo is actually coming into contact with the wood.

If you look at This picture you can see that three corners of the mobo are the same height, and one side is not. I got around this by building rails for it to sit on, and adding a piece of balsa to the "short" corner. So, with this setup, the battery in the lower right hand corner and the ??? in the upper left are touching the rails. I don't know what it is in the upper left, but it does sit right below the VGA output, but I don't think it's the video controller. I think it's a VGA controller.

Thanks in advance
    Thanks you for the post.

Thread Information