Thread: Soyo p45 Ultra Dragon problems

Soyo p45 Ultra Dragon problems

Okay, this might be an easy question, would a leaking capacitor (2 in fact) cause a mobo not to post or give error beeps?Also the caps in question are 1000uf 6.3v, and all I have are 1200uf 6.3v,could they be interchangeble? If not I am going to frys tomorrow,so if that's not the problem I don't want to waste the time or money.

Thanks

Okay, this might be an easy question, would a leaking capacitor (2 in fact) cause a mobo not to post or give error beeps?Also the caps in question are 1000uf 6.3v, and all I have are 1200uf 6.3v,could they be interchangeble? If not I am going to frys tomorrow,so if that's not the problem I don't want to waste the time or money.

Thanks
    Absolutely!

I had 3 boards that I had to warranty a few years back for the precisely same problem.

If you are going to replace the capacitors, check with the manufacturer first. They *may* have extended the warranty on the board and you might still be covered. It was a HGUE industry wide problem a few years back, and a few manufacturers did the right thing by extending their warranty's by several years to allow for the problem to work itself out.

If you have leakers, look for other caps that are bubbled/domed on the top. That means they are building up pressure and will soon burst (like your 2 leakers did) and they will need replacing as well.

There are a few places online that sprung up a little cottage industry of repairing these boards for fairly cheap. If you want, Google may be your friend and save you a lot of headache of yo uare worried about proper soldering through multilayer boards. Might be easier just to ship off to one of the other repair folks, if the manfacturer is not going to do it for you.

In a nutshell, many years ago, there was a scandal in the Taiwaneese Capacitor manufacturer segment, where a chief scientist left the #1 cap manufacturer and stole the electrolyte formula, went to work for a competitor and brought it to them. Then, company #3 heard what was going on and wanted a piece of the pie... so the guy sold the formula to them!

Unbeknownst to the scientist that had left with the formula or the two companies he gave it to, Chief Scientist and CEO of Company #1 had a key ingredient that only he knew about, that was not listed on the formula that was stolen.

So now, months later, 2 of the top 3 cap manufacturers are putting out caps based on this supposed "equivalent" electrolyte formula, millions of caps are produced... and then start failing after abnormally short lifetimes! Turns out, the key ingrediant is what kept the caps from producing the gases that cause them to burst, and the entire Taiwaneese cap industry was rocked with quality issues!

That's kinda why they make such a big deal out of Rubycon/Japaneese caps, and frown on Taiwan caps.... the failure rates were (and still are) much higher than the higher cost (but higher quality) Japaneese caps.

Thanks! I did a few searches after getting the board,Soyo only offers 1year replacement and I got the board on Saturday,plus it is an obsolete Socket 478,and I only found one relevant forum,that said something about the caps,so I started looking at em and 2 are leakers.Almost all the caps are the same on this board should I take the time to replace them all?
    Thanks

obscelete.... schmobschleete....

did you buy it new or used?

Post up a few pics of the board (top, 3/4, profiles of the capacitor rows), and I'll tell ya if I see what I had.

I bought the board used,and i don't own a camera :cry: My mom's cam was just washing out so I gave up. But the caps look like this:

There a three that I have discovered now and 2 swelling.

http://www.badcaps.net/tips/

Thanks for the link.Yeah, tomorrow I'll get the caps.Thanks a lot!

best of luck!

Thanks
    not interchangeable, if you are, get the same ones.
    you can change them here

Thread Information