Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Desklamp Mod

Desklamp Mod

Was not really sure where to put this but anyway...

So.. Lokie brings in this lamp that originally took a 12VAC 20watt incandecent bulb one day and said bulb is out... do something with it... well since it would have made no sence what so ever for me to actually drive out and buy a bulb and just make it work like normal I started taking the screws out of it... Come to find out it just uses a simple Transformer to step down 120VAC to 12VAC... hmm... that's right around the range I need for LED's :twisted:

Well being a bit lazy yesterday I grabbed and literally dusted off some really old perf board that we have not used in a while (since I started etching my own boards) and went to work... 8-)

I built a very simple regulated voltage converter which simply converts the AC voltage to DC.. I used the regulator to well.. regulate the votage going out to the LED's as well as filter.... all together it didn't turn out to bad... I could have went WAY overboard and put massive amounts of LED's in the hood.. and I actually started to... This just looked better and actually provides a nicer, more even glow... Now I just have to wait for Lokie to show up today and see if he likes it ok..

Master Modder

Desklamp Mod

I like it and welcome to MI and I'm glad that posting was for a mod for your introduction. Sweet. Hope you find MI fun and useful to your needs. If you have any question, feel free to ask and be patient and you should get an answer soon after. Happy Modding to ya.

Desklamp Mod

That's awesome! You do realize that commercial led lamps are like $150 a pop, right? Way to get something for little! And that's amazing that you etch your own boards. Do you need special equipment to do that? And yes, welcome to modder's-inc.

Desklamp Mod

Very nice work Twizted. Can't wait to see what you whip up next .

Clear Coat

Desklamp Mod

Sweet job... Custom heatsink on that regulator?
    and btw:
    I would have gone for gobs of LEDs... you are trying to replace a halogen (thats what it was right?) bulb which is ridiculously bright... But if your friend was just looking for a basic desk lamp it should be fine.

Desklamp Mod

Still alot of light but no heat

Awesome idea

Desklamp Mod

Twiz is full of ideas, he just needs to be pushed...ok shoved in the right direction. He actually has been doing these thing for years. This is the first though for a AC to DC converter...heheshould have seen it.

OK here we go, either this is going to work (One hand ready to plug in) or go BANG!! (The other hand covering his eyes)
    :lol: Thankfully it worked.

Desklamp Mod

Hello Lokie, welcome to MI. Well I am working on some ideas to put Twizted's brain to work. Once I figure out a few things I will shed some light on them .

Desklamp Mod

Thanks Tazz for the welcome, Bill (MNPCTech) said this was a good place to hang ones dremel at.

Desklamp Mod

Props to Bill .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information