Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Project: DoomzPunk

Project: DoomzPunk

Hello everyone. I have been a member of both Suhian and OCForums for awhile now, but brightshininglights suggested I pop over here to your forums and check it out. I really like the work some of you are doing and thought that I would share with you my newest adventure in modding (my last project can be found here).

I have been logging the design for about a week now on two other forums, so there is a lot of catching up to do here.

So now that my Senior Project is over and much of my current gaming computer has been parted out, it is time for me to plan my next build/mod. It will be at least a couple months before I can start acquiring parts because I am poor, but I will definitely need the time to plan how I want to put it together.

Form Factor: mITX (Flex ATX or DTX if I really can’t afford it)
    CPU: Core 2 Duo (Conroe or Merom)
    RAM: 2GB minimum
    Graphics: 8800GTS or 2900XT (Maybe externally if possible)
    DVD: Slim Laptop Drive
    HDD: 3.5” or 2.5” SATA HDD
    PSU: I doubt any of those little mITX power supplies will have enough power for a gaming card, so I will have to jump up to a Shuttle PSU.

The entire project (case, keyboard, speakers, mouse, and external drive) will be modified to show influence form Steampunk. I have studied various interpretations of steampunk and am ready to start acquiring parts. I have been a big fan of Jake von Slatt's work at SteampunkWorkshop.com and actually got an email from him a couple days ago. He is famous for his keyboard, monitor, and RSS reader mods. I am ready to show the world my own interpretation of steampunk.

I want my project to resemble old steam engines, boiler rooms, and old b-movie robots. There will be a lot of copper, tubes, and gears. Here is a collage I made of what I liked the most:

Also, here are some items I have picked up from local Goodwills and for free from Craigslist users:

The little watering can will make a nice chimney and the bowl just looks cool.

The bowl looks even better when folded up.

This is an old Dell keyboard form the days when keyboards had nice "clicky" mechanisms. The keys will be replaced with typewriter keys.

Here's some cool parts I gathered off of two old Xerox printers and a mimeograph.

I am trying my best to make a design that will not be too industrial, but not be too Victorian either. I even went to the Science Fiction Museum here in Seattle to do some research.

There is a lot more I could put here, but I figure that is enough for now. I could probably fill about 5 pages worth with ideas and mods I am going to do. I'll post updates and pics as I go along.

Feel free to ask questions as I'm sure there are some details I forgot to mention.

~ DoomZ

Master Modder

Welcome to MI Doomzilla, glad to have you stop in and check things out. Brightshininglights wasn't pulling your leg when you told you about how good the site is. Hope you stay awhile and if you have any question please feel free to ask and I'm sure that someone will give you a answer or two. Happy Modding to ya.

Sounds like an interesting project Doomzilla...

Sounds good, can't wait, and welcome!

Basically all I need is a mITX case. Then I can start on some real designing an figuring out where the gears and pipes will go. I still need to figure out what card I am going to use. I might use a 8600GTS and just volt-mod it to run at much higher speeds. My only other choice is to buy a card form the still expensive 8800 series. I currently have three sponsors, but hopefully I can get one or two more since I have never been one to be able to afford luxury parts (damn rent payments!).

I contacted someone I know back in New York who is amazing at finding old junk for cheap, so hopefully I'll have my typewriter keys in a week or two.

heh this should look sweet, maybe put a fog machine so it'll look like the machine is working (depends if you have an exhaust tho :P)

oh and welcoem to MI

Master Modder

I suggest that you make your own case. Make a old workers tool box and then have your tubes, gears and whatnots stuck to the sides of the tool box. Then make it look old and dirty with grease and the likes of a workers tool box. Then again find a model of something that you really like and put the computer into that. There are many things that you can do to make a housing for that small form factor. So good luck with your project and Happy Modding to ya.

I looked into fog machines and they are either too big or too expensive for this project. I used to have a toy robot that would burn oil and it would look like steam. Maybe I can incorporate something like that.

As for the case, I would prefer to start with some sort of stock case. I have been looking at the PSile, but it is a wee bit too expensive ($200 to $300). I want it because it has a great way of holding the HDD and the DVD drive. I will probably just end up getting a plain square mITX case for just under $100. It is just easier for me to hack open a case and at least have some sort of frame and mounting holes instead of doing it from scratch. I live in an apartment, so I do not have a lot of tools to do that sort of work. My last project was sponsored by Protocase, who makes some great custom metal enclosures for mITX boards, but I doubt that I could get them to sponsor me again. They are quite a busy company.

Master Modder

I understand what your saying but it won't hurt to ask again. All they can say is no. If you did them good the last time they just might go again. Good luck and Happy Modding to ya.

For the fog machine, you can "just" take it apart, the water tank is the biggest, the heater and pump are small

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information