Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Americanique

Americanique

This was techically my first mod, although I completed it in the middle of a couple of other ones. This is my themed case, and the theme is, for the most part, 50's kitchens. I got the Ben Hur sign, the foil stuff, the light and the trim off of an old refridgerator. I think it odd that they made home appliances themed after a movie. They weren't really themed, meaning that, say, maytag made a limited edition ben hur fridge. Whole companies were based off of movies. Wierd. The handle on the back that you can't really see is from an old GE stove. I hope you like it!

Americanique

Ben Hur

Is it just me or did you take this photo in a kitchen sink?
    Because of the drain... (or how do you guys call it)

Master Modder

Americanique

Looks cool, hope it doesn't get to hot to handle. I too wonder why it's sitting in a sink. Does it think it's a duck. Happy Modding to ya.

Clear Coat

Americanique

So that it looks shiny?

Good job for a technically first mod!

Americanique

Thanks guys, and yes it is sitting in a large stainless steel industrial sink. Most of my home has not been updated since the mid seventies, and you know how the background of something being photographed can effect it. I didn't want to rig up a big sheet or something for a background, so this seemed like the most appropriate place. It's also supposed to belong in a kitchen, so this made sense. If the rest of that counterspace in there wasn't covered in crap I would have preferred to take it on there. It's not too shiny in person, it's just blue flake. I need to buff it out better and possibly repaint it, as it has some scratches.

Americanique

scratches aren't good

Master Modder

Americanique

I understand and since it has some scratches then maybe sometime in the future there will be a mod. I hope so and I'm looking forward to see a mod from you. If you do a mod, just remember that MI is here to help answer your questions. Happy Modding to ya.

Americanique

Nice rig...great eye to grab the stuff off the frige.

You NEVER know where you will find some good stuff. You can be just waliking around and then something will catch your eye and a mod is born :-)

Americanique

For real. I try to get almost all of my materials salvaged. That's hard to do when you're going for shiny, though.

Americanique

I am supposedly having this case repainted professionally in exchange for some spyware removal. I say supposedly because the guy doesn't return my calls, and when I call him he's busy. I'll call him again today to see where we stand. I figured that since this was getting painted I had better do any small mods that could be done or forever hold my peace, so here they are. The most standard and useful mod is to remove the stock fan grilles, so I did so.
    Before.

After.

I did most of the cutting with a dremel, except the last few cuts when I realized that tin snips would be faster. I cleaned everything up with a dremel and a file. I'm really happy with the back, but the front is only a 90mm hole. In retrospect it would have been better to use a 4" hole saw on the front instead of removing the grill and leaving the hole the same size.

The back with a 120mm.

Me likey.

The front with a 120mm.

Not so much.

The front with a 90mm.

Much better. I don't know why they even put holes for a 120mm fan if they don't put in a 120mm hole. I thought that my lack of front airflow was due to the fan I had in there. Apparently not.

My next step is to drill a hole in the front panel. I'll probably do that tonight.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information