Thread: Thermal Compound

Clear Coat

Thermal Compound

I have a little bit of AS5 left over from some previous projects, but not enough to cover both the GFX and CPU heatsinks that I am replacing for my friends computer. I was thinking about just getting another tube of AS5, but then I saw the Zalman thermal grease. I was just wondering if anyone has experience with this product, because if there is no significant difference, I prefer the application of the Zalman. They are the same price at the store where I am going. ($10 at Fry's)

Thermal Compound

Never used the Zalman stuff.

If its thin enough to be applied by a brush I would have my concerns right off.

On the AS5, it just takes a little over a bb sized ball in the middle of the CPU to apply. You dont need to spread it or anything, just place the heatsink on and give it a few twists. It will spread out to cover the rest of the area.

Clear Coat

Thermal Compound

Ok... thats a lot easier than the pre-spreading that i was doing.

Thermal Compound

If you check Arctic Silvers site you will see they have modified most of their installation instructions.

Thermal Compound

I'm using the Zalman paste that came with the heatsink but I bought a standard one froma an electronics store for the graphics card and tehre's no difference in themperature before/now (not sure what's the stock paste they use on Gigabyte's GPUs?)

Clear Coat

Thermal Compound

I dunno.. I found a lot of reviews that just suggested buy the cheaper of the two... so i ended up with the zalman, because it was the first one i saw on the shelf. I wont be able to benchmark this project, but I might re-seat something on one of my other computers later to see if there is a difference.

Thermal Compound

i use AS5 all the time as a default. you can never really tell if the thermal compound that comes with the part is really that great. better be safe than sorry

Clear Coat

Thermal Compound

Yeah.. its zalmans attempt to take over the AS5 market share, not just what comes with the part. (although i think it comes with the cnps9700 series)

Thread Information