Thread: media center pc....

Master Modder

media center pc....

yep thats right this is what my next project will be based on....although not loads of modding going on as i want it to look very flush and well silver...i have funnily enough seen a case that is perfect but....heres my problem!

i dont know what you would put inside of a media center pc!!!

i know it sounds stupid but ive never relli thought about it...so anyone who can list the parts u need for a media center pc??? i know the normal bits but its like the tv card and so on.....and how u would connect say sky to it and so on...well hope ya guys can help!!

laters

media center pc....

for the most part a media pc is just a computer that can run windows and play movies. well windows isn't the only option but it does seem to give you best preformance/most options.

I have one that I went with windows xp on it just for some stability. Mine is a fairly basic one as they can go. It has a 1.5gig duron processor so it isn't anything flashy. It has an older tv tuner, and a soundblaster audigy pro 2 in there which i plan to eventually setup to have that remote do everything.

Software is a huge thing with these. media portal from what i hear is the way to go. It lets you do just about everything.

I have my htpc all built but i haven't been able to really put some time into configuring it yet >.<

Heres a thread from another site that really went into some detail on building one. This guy really did it all too, he used a compact flash card instead of a hd for better speeds and lots of cool little tweaks and custom settings.
    http://fusionmods.net/?theCase=viewThread&threadID=366

Master Modder

media center pc....

thanks for the link! one thing i want to do is make it so i can control it remotly.....that is a must

media center pc....

yeah i agree on that. mine has a wireless keyboard/mouse combo but i want it to be just like a tv in most aspects

media center pc....

tv cards can run a little high (like $100) for one that doesn't break every five minutes. I would definitely advise getting hdtv service of some kind, as I installed a tv card for a customer and her cable looks like crap on a 17" monitor! If you're using a normal tv and sitting 6 feet away it should be okay, but....

Master Modder

media center pc....

I found a KWorld PlusTV High Definition TV Card (that's what it says on the box) on ebay and I paid $42.00USD and the shipping was $5.00USD and I've been using it everyday now for 2 weeks and haven't had a lick of trouble out of it and the software that came with it works great also. The picture is better than the other card I have which isn't HD but I thought is was a very good picture and this new card is even better. The box for the HD card even has a price tag on it for $59.99 but I didn't pay that much. It does everything from Time-Shifting to Scheduled-Recording with the EPG (Electronic Program Guide). It also works with both analog and digital signals. The resolution is capable of 1920x1080. The software is TotalMedia. I've tried WinDVD with it and it worked just fine with it. The only program I've had trouble with is Media Portal. Guess it might be me screwing it up, I don't know, I do know that the card works great with the supplied software. Good luck with yours razer and have fun. Happy Modding to ya.

media center pc....

Hmm. I just went by the other reviews on newegg, and the only ones that looked any good were in the $100 range. If you can get one for cheaper as em3bilko says, and you've done your research, go ahead and get it. I think that the different functions (time shifting, record) are functions of the software, not the card itself. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Master Modder

media center pc....

You are correct on the features being software but at the same time the card has to be able to do what the software is asking it to do. So it's both pieces that has to work together. So like brightshininglights says, do your research before you buy and you will come out ahead in the long run and will enjoy your Media Center a lot more. Happy Modding to ya.

Master Modder

media center pc....

wow thanks for the input guys has helped me alot hear....will have to do more researchin though before hand

Master Modder

media center pc....

Glad that we could help. Hope to see you starting on your HTPC soon. Happy Modding to ya.

Thread Information