Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mr. Kholl's NanoTribute - Testing the VFD....

Mr. Kholl's NanoTribute - Testing the VFD....

Hello M-I friends,

After several months stopped, I decided to re-start this project. It's my pleasure to post the worklogs at Modders-Inc.

This project calls NanoTribute, it's a kind of a 'Thank you VIA' to make such nice and tiny x86 based pc.

I would like to thank VIA and specially VIA Latin America to send me two of these babies: VIA Epia N and VIA Epia NL.

It will be a simple case, from scratch, and the plan is to create the front panels in a way which you could change between skins easily.

I made some photoshop previews just to show the look:

The default skin:

The I/O door:

Inside the case:

Some skins (thumbnails):

I took some pics of the EPIA's:

Epia N
    :

1Ghz Luke CoreFusionâ„¢ CPU:

VIA VT8237R-series South Bridge:

RCA connector for SPDIF or Video Out (by jumper), S-Video, VGA, 5.1 audio or Mic/LineIn/LineOut (by Software), RJ-45 and USB:

SODIMM DDR-400, up to 1GB:

Mini-pci slot at the bottom:

We can't live without it!:

Oh yes, SATA! :wink:

Epia NL:

RJ-45, vga, ps/2 and usb by cable:

The NL comes with an additional FAN input:

Big heatsinks:

Time to fly...

Setup:

2) 2,5" Seagate Momentus HDD (80gb):

Normal HDD vs. 2,5" HDD (space is good):

3) 120w PicoPSU:

ll/projects/mod/nanotribute/thumb/nanonew003b.jpg" alt="" />

4) 128x32 dot matrix Noritake's VFD:

5) 110v-12v AC/DC (5a):

6) Sunon's 40mm Fan (really silent, thanks Hank - Performance-pcs.com):

7) IDE 44 to 40 pins Adapter:

8 ) Optic filters for VFD
    (Would like to thank PSC
    to send these very nice samples):

It really change the VFD colors. I will show the effects later.

9) Card reader
    :

10 ) I/O Panel

I left this idea, too big, i will put the audio and usb front ins in another way

11 ) Standard IDE cable

12 ) Silicon keyboard
    :

Really compact:

Time to test:

Still very small even with the parts:

Ready to go:

od/nanotribute/nanonew015.jpg">

The picoPSU show two status (smd leds): (Green: Standby and Red: Working):

The original 40mm Fan which comes with the heatsink is pettry quiet, almost the same noise level of the Sunon.

The Windows (XP pro) was very easy, no surprises.

Some screenshots for whom love specs, infos, etc...

(800x600 thumbs):

modtv.com.br/mr_kholl/projects/mod/nanotribute/thumb/nanoprtscn04.jpg" alt="" />

tv.com.br/mr_kholl/projects/mod/nanotribute/nanoprtscn25.jpg">

Well, next step will be the VFD wiring and test, I will post it later!

Hope you like this little project! any suggestions will be very very welcome :wink:

See you soon,
    Kholl.

That is a big heatsink! It lacks pci or pci-e, though. That means no awesome video cards . This looks to be an awesome project, I'll be watching. So you're still waiting on the dvd player?

Master Modder

Hot Dog another project by the one and only mr_kholl!! I'm watching this one, for sure. I love your designs and I'm betting that this one is going to be a chart topper also. Thanks for sharing this with us and the photos were great. Happy Modding to ya.

GAAAH!!

Wow this is so... miniature
    I must admin, I'm really starting to like small things (the picture with the G15 and the portable keyboard.. heh priceless :P)

Can't wait to see more

just one question,
    how are you going to drive the LCD (Nortitake's one?)

That is a big heatsink! It lacks pci or pci-e, though. That means no awesome video cards . This looks to be an awesome project, I'll be watching. So you're still waiting on the dvd player?Hi brightshininglights, the plan is use this pc as a HTPC, but you are right, no awesome VGA's. The main feature of this mobo is the MPEG encoder (via hardware).
    About the DVD, oh yes, still waiting this part.

Hot Dog another project by the one and only mr_kholl!! I'm watching this one, for sure. I love your designs and I'm betting that this one is going to be a chart topper also. Thanks for sharing this with us and the photos were great. Happy Modding to ya.
    Hello my bro em3bilko! it's always a great pleasure to show my projects here! thanks for the comments, I'm so glad that you like my designs. I really love photo, hope to show more and more nice shots.

Hello Dex!

Oh yeah, small stuff like that is very very nice. When I finish the case I will make some tests to see if it will be nice as a portable computer, I don't know, the problem is the height, let's see.

how are you going to drive the LCD (Nortitake's one?)
    Good point, this display has two interfaces: Parallel and Serial. There's no parallel port on Epian N/NL, so, I will use the rs-232 interface. Note that only the NL version comes with serial port, but, my plan is to use Epia N for this project, so, I'll need to use a serial-usb adapter. I will make some tests soon.

Master Modder

Can't wait to see how those tests come out for the serial-usb adapter for the LCD screen. Do keep us informed of that and this is going to be so sweet. Just down right awesome. Happy Modding to ya.

It's good to see some practical computers that could be mass-produced for general consumption. Without your sponsorships how much would all of this cost?

Good point again,

When I decided to create a project based on a small form factor motherboard, I started a big searching for this mobos, and I loved the idea of the Nano-itx, and its really amazing 12 cm! but the prices, specially the Epia N10000 (1Ghz), was (and still is) very high, also, I knew that I would spend lot of money in the parts, so, I stopped it for a while.

So, back in March, I had the chance to meet Mr. Carlos Kato and his Assistant Mr. Anderson, from VIA America Latina, in Sao Paulo. I showed the project, and they loved, so, they sent me two Epia's. I'm participating of a TV show in Brazil about modding, they liked the idea to sponsor the show too.

The price of Epia N10000 in USA is about USD 390.

Until now, I spend about USD 200 in parts, so, the sponsorship was very very welcome.

Master Modder

Congrats on getting into the program of modding. That's outstanding in fact. I should would like to see that program. Good luck and also congrats on getting some help with this project. Happy Modding to ya.

Any idea on what the over all size might be?

I got an older VIA board and have had a project in the back of my mind for awhile, maybe some day it will happen.

Well I know I will be watching this one very closely from start to finish.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information