Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Did I ever tell you how much I hate computers ?

Did I ever tell you how much I hate computers ?

Give you the latest venture into the "Tazz Hates Computers" world.

Not long ago I did the upgrade deed for Ultra Sweet. AM2 5600, Asus M2N32-SLI Delux Wifi mobo, couple gigs of ram, hdds and the works. Things started out great on the setup and looked to be very pleasing... That was short lived.

Before I left for QuakeCon I started having some memory issues. Would get memory error after memory error in windows and yet not be able to prove that either stick of memory was bad. Numerous tests later I finally slipped in some borrowed ram (I know is perfectly fine) and finish prepping for QuakeCon. I left not knowing weather the rig was going to boot let alone run and game at the event. Thankfully it ran like a top at the event. Just as soon as I hooked it up when I got home shit went south again. Couple of days later it would be as if nothing was wrong. Getting tired of the f-ing games it was playing with me, I finally said, Ok, I am going to make you f-up and find the problem one way or another. This is of course after I swapped everything in and out a few times trying to track the problem. The only two items I couldn't test where the CPU and Mobo.

So I'm pissed at this point, I load the bios and OC the hell out of it to see what happens. I bumped it to 3.2Ghz (default 2.8Ghz) which from what I understand, only a few of the 5600's are able to hit that high of a speed. This thing ran like a top, not one friggen error, not one crash, not anything.... At this point I am like OMFG... WTF... Temps where still good on air cooling at this point (lost the chil-tec before QC). Couple days later no boot first thing in the morning...... ARGH!. So I clear the CMOS to go back to stock settings and she boots. She runs fine for the day. I power down and low and behold the next day she doesn't boot again. WTF (its stock)... A few more days of fighting it (shut down for over an hour or so causes it not to boot and having to clear the CMOS to get it to boot). This is where I finally decided that the high dollar board I bought has to be the culprit.... Well durring all this I was of course researching all my hardware. I found sever people that had similar problems on the board. I read thread after thread on Asus's site to see that there are people that have dealt with this shit after 4 and 5 boards being RMA'd. At that point I finally convinced myself that it was in fact the board and nothing I could do (all their suggestions) would resolve the issues. I gave up... I said Ok, its time to just let it run... Well it lasted for about a week running non-stop (all stock settings). I been trying to finish a couple of reviews up gearing up few big ones, that I knew would take some time. Well I power down (as long as I am quick, this hasnt been an issue) and pull out my 8800's and toss in another vid card (review). The m-fer wont boot. A few choice words later I clear the CMOS and the usual crap. No go still... WTF is going on? I say. I pulled the new card out and pop one of the 88's back in. Same bleeping deal... OMFG..... At this point I was ready to chuck parts across the room. I pulled another rig down and tested the "new" card in it, boom it posts, it boots, it loads windows. The card is perfectly fine, its not a power house so that shouldn't be a concern. Everything powers up, everything acts like it should. During the process I did connect a speaker to verify the beep codes (I normally dont run the speakers). It was giving the standard 1 long 2 short beep code indicating a video error.

At this point I was too tired and too pissed to continue. I decided to take a nap and chill a bit. I get up and try numerous video cards (two flavors and several versions). It didnt care what card I put it, it wasn't going to boot. So I finally said f-it and pulled it down. I honestly don't have the slightest bit of hope for this thing, after seeing how many people had the same problems after getting the RMA'd boards. With my luck I will be the first one to hit 10 in a row that have the same problems....

So to end the story off.... I am in the process of reformatting... I had to pull two rigs down to set things up so I could get shit going. The vid card review has to be started over, and everything else goes on hold till I can get this set back up for daily use....... I HATE COMPUTERS... :twisted:

Wow man that sucks, it's never fun when the PC is on the fritz. I know it wasn't your temps causing the problem, I checked out your thermals while we were at Quakecon and you had one of the coolest running systems on air I have seen in awhile. Unfortunatly I really blame the Nvidia chipset, the 5xx and 6xx series do not see to be the stable rocks that the nForce4's were. Good luck with that man.

Ya, cooling is one of my biggest pet peeves when it comes to hardware.

I am seriously thinking of RMA'ing the board, and ebay-ing it without even opening it. Might just make the jump to Intel 8O . Will have to see how the RMA process goes, and what they have to say. The board had every feature I wanted and started out good, but if its going to end with a bang like this, Its not even worth the hassles.

I have UltraSweet running on a m-ATX Evga board (another board that is lacking... have to run my FX57 @ 2.6 (-.2Ghz) to even be stable. But at least it is consistent at the 2.6Ghz.

I have been running an Intel 975xbx board for about 6 months and it has been absolutly rock solid. I have had my E6400 which is stock at 2.13ghz now running 3.2ghz with no issues on air. As much as it pains me to say it I really love the Intel Bad Axe motherboards.

dude, i would just go buy a new board

not worth going through the RMA process a few times and still re-installing everything

Doh.. Hows the RMA going Tazz

Not even started it yet.

Master Modder

Good luck with what ever you decide to do and Happy Modding to ya.

Well it appears my assumptions where correct on this friggen board..... ARGH!

Powered down this morning at 8am, went to bed and got up 4 hours later. NO F-ing BOOT.... I was fit to be tied. I guess the third time is a charm!

Master Modder

It's RMA time. If it were me I would be packing the board today to send it back. It sounds to me that you gave it a fair shake and it's not up to snuff, send it packing. Happy Modding to ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information