Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: #2 Mod for Cooler Master CES 2008

#2 Mod for Cooler Master CES 2008

So following along behind American Freak. I am fixing to start on a mod for CM. Unfortunately my ideas just haven't hit me yet.

http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&tbcate=17&id=2908 The CM 690 is what I will be using for the base of the build. My initial idea was to do a "Baby Nvidia Edition" case or a car themed case. I'm trying to finish up a few things so I can put 100% of my time towards it.

If you have any suggestions for ideas please feel free to share them. I am limited on time and funds for the mod, but never the less it will get completed .

As soon as I get the slate clear I will post up some ideas I am thinking on.

Hot Rod Mod with lots of CHROME

Endless ideas........... Start looking at Hot Rod Magz.

Auto parts stores have lots of SWeeeeeT items you can use

Ok I have had a chance to do some thinking and sketching on this. I have decided to go a little bit toward a car themed mod. Right now I am still undecided if this is how it will pan out when finished though. Currently have the case still intact and have not went through the complete teardown yet to see what is actually feasible in the time frame.

The first sketch shows a scallop paint job with some lighting. I plan to keep the basic overall case design intact because this is a relatively new case and it is going to be on display in their booth. Right now I am thinking a blue metalic scallop with a silver pinstripe and black for the base. I will then backlight the existing mesh (blue area) with blue LEDs.

Giving the case a bit more of a custom touch , I will completely cover the side panel with the plans of removing the stock fan mounts and meshing 3 sections between the middle scallops. I will then apply some plexi strips and build up four ridges on both sides. Once completed I will backlight the plexi strips with blue LEDs

With time and $ being the key factors in this, the goal is to go as far as I can as fast as I can without compromising the quality of the build. The case is a stout case and does have some good benefits. It also has some flaws in my opinion. This mod will actually address a few of those flaws .

I will be removing the two chrome strips that run from the top to the bottom of the front. They will be remade in plexi and backlit with blue LEDs as well. That is probably going to be one of the toughest parts of this thing to pull off. They have several tabs that stick through the plastic and hold them on. Cutting the plexi to match and mount correctly will be fun . I also plan on putting two Dragon Meters in the front panel as well accompanied with two power leds.

Cool! I'll be sure to keep tabs on this, that is some pretty ambitious stuff you have planned out there. I'm sure that you can pull it off.

somehow I can't see a darn thing on that link..
    I'd search around but I'm going to bed

The link is fixed. They must have changed it .

Master Modder

This should look quite interesting once you get started. I'll be keeping my eye on this mod that's for sure. Happy Modding to ya.

Cool looks interesting Tazz...

Well a lot of shit has happened since I started this mod. It's now down to the wire and I am close to calling it done. After hitting a lot of snags and having to redo the side panels 3 times each . I even killed a few tools in the process of trying to get this thing done.

I didn't get near what I wanted done to it, but with the limited budget, time, and warm temperatures, I had to make a few sacrifices after having problems on the sides. I am fairly happy with the results to this point. I just wish I had a little more time to block it out more and add a few more modifications. I still have to add a little lighting to the front (will probably do that tomorrow morning).

Nice work mate

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information