Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: powder coating - gamedrift.com case

powder coating - gamedrift.com case

I've decided I want my next mod to be powercoated, has anyone done this before? (im sure some have, so please, help me)

I'm wondering about the price, and the work that goes into it on my end (prepping)

I'm also not sure if i would do just the outside panels or the chassis as well (I dont even have a case in mind yet)

any tips are very appreciated

about the mod: its going to be a "comissioned"(nothing's official) case to celebrate the re-re-launch of gamedrift.com, a site owned and operated by a distant friend of mine. I'm thinking of using mostly a light blue in keeping with the site's theme. and a vinyl or airbrushed logo on the side. Ideally I'd do a gull-wing side on it too :twisted:

Powdercoating will require a dedicated non baking oven large enough to handle the largest piece you are going to coat.

You will also need special Powder Coating materials as well as a gun to apply it with.

Unless you are wll prepared with space and the environment to cook the coat, you will be looking at a couple hundred dollars if you do the frame and the case panels.

Just the panels, likely in the 100-150 range to have someone else do it for you.

None of this includes shipping.

You might be able to find a company locally that will slide your job in on the side, or on the end of an existing job. And if you find the right person, you job could cost muxh less. But finding that contact takes a lot of phone calling and leg work.

Prep wise, you have to be able to make sure that the coat does not get into the mobo standoff holes and screw threads.

Also, your material must be clean and be able to withstand temperatures frrom 300 to 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes without warping.

Steel is the easiest to use in that regard.

shouldn't be too hard to find somebody to powder coat stuff for you. look around at local car enthusiats. they are always powdercoating stuff.

Look under Metal Coating in the phone book...every town has a powdercaoting outfit these days... They all take in walk-ins.. Just remove wire leads, switches and stickers, bring in your now "dismantled" case and ask for a quote.. Tell them you want all the threaded holes plugged, They do all the prep work

best case for powdercoating? Lian Li PC-7plus ($80 at newegg) all aluminum parts, and it's simplistic

I don't know anyone that has used the sears setup, might cost as much as having it done as well.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00917288000P?vertical=TOOL&pid=00917 288000&adCell=P4&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

I put a barter ad on craigslist asking for a trade of computer work for powder coating/painting, and got a call within a week of the posting offering a pearlized auto paint job in exchange for some spyware removal. So yeah, I would do that.

Master Modder

Outstanding that you found someone to powder coat your pc, bsl. When you get it back give us some photos if you will please. Happy Modding to ya and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Well, not exactly powder coated, just pearlized auto paint. I would have prefered powder coating, but eh. It's my Americanique rig, and yes I will give photos when I'm done.

Master Modder

I bet it's going to look gorgeous. Happy Modding to ya.

They have cheap-ish powder coating kits on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/New-Powder-Painting-Coating-System-Coat-Paint_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ43998QQihZ001QQit emZ110196425653QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD2V
    if you're in the U.S. Idk how reliable they are or would be, but you need an air compressor for it to work.I wanna buy one but I'm not too sure if it will work with the sockets over here, and I'm lacking a compressor.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information