Thread: OCZ Vanquisher CPU Cooler

OCZ Vanquisher CPU Cooler

CPU cooling is one of the most important areas a PC user must look at when building a computer. Whether this be a Gaming Rig or a Desktop computer, you want to keep your CPU as cool as you possibly can. Today we are going to look at the OCZ Vanquisher. OCZ has combined an efficient heatpipe design with a low speed fan to offer a quiet yet effective cooler option for users that does not require the use of a back plate to mount. Lets take a closer look at the OCZ Vanquisher.

Read the full review here.

I think that it deserves a lower score based on those temps. I'm running a 4800+ brisbane at stock speeds with stock cooling and stock grease I'm getting better temps than that. That's with 2 120mm fans in an uncrowded mid-tower case (three if you count the power supply). I'm in seattle with an average room temperature of 73 degrees. I built a comp with a 3800+ as well with everything stock, and that gets better temps as well with only 1 120mm fan.

My stock AMD cooler does not allow any of my cpu's to run below 40C idle, and will show 50C+ loads at the CPU sensor. But as of right now the Vanquisher does a better job than my stock AMD cooler did on that setup. At the time of the review I couldn't find the friggen stock cooler and was kind of limited on time. I will re-run the tests with the Vanquisher, a stock AMD cooler, and a Ultra X-Wind on my FX57 Setup.

As an update on this.

I have taken a little time and discussed it, as well as read a few other reviews on the net. We all pretty much come to the same conclusion.

I pulled the cooler off the other day and decided rather than pulling down the two other rigs and holding up their reviews I would just lap the Vanquisher and see how it affects the temps. Lapping the cooler dropped the idle temps by 5 degrees, dropped the load temps by 4 degrees, and dropped the core load temp by 7 degrees. I do feel the Vanquisher is a good buy for the buck. Its one of the cheaper coolers on the market. It performs better for me than a stock cooler does, and with a little lapping it can perform with some of the higher end coolers. I will be updating the review to show the results of the lapping as well. I just have to get a few other things done before I can do it.

All right! I would buy it if I saw it cheap on eBay or something now that I know that I can lap it with good results. Thanks Tazz!

Good review, thanks. It's interesting that you always remove the supplied seating compund. A few years ago I would have done the same, but the manufacturers (well, some of them) are getting smarter. It would have been easy to test the cooler with the stock compound on it first, then try Arctic Silver for comparison. Maybe with their own compound or pad the rough copper surface would not have mattered so much. Who knows? If you don't test it then it's impossible to know how well the product will work straight out of the box! Would you consider, please, the possibility of testing in the future using the stock compound before scraping it off in favor of something else?

Regards

First of all thanks for the comments .

Well, the main reason we always remove any supplied compound is to get a level playing field for the results. Using one compound on both coolers allows us to show the difference in the cooler itself on the same build. Using the stock compound on cooler A and using the compound of choice on cooler B wouldn't really be a fair comparison.

I have thought about adding in the testing for the stock compound though. Showing what it does out of the box, then do the comparison against the other cooler with the same compounds. We will discuss this and see what we can do.

I am actually still running this cooler on my AMD 64 3800+ rig. It's still pulling in good temperatures with the light lapping it received. Thanks again for taking the time to post that up.

Thread Information