Thread: Hurricane HC92 CU8800 VGA Cooler

Hurricane HC92 CU8800 VGA Cooler

ZEROTherm has been kicking out high end CPU and VGA coolers for a couple of years now. We have seen some great performance out of their previous products such as the BTF90 and GX815 coolers. Will their newest VGA cooler rise to the challenge of todays demanding VGA cards? We are going to see how their newest VGA cooler, the Hurricane HC92 CU8800 holds up to the heat produced by a XFX 8800 GTS.

Read the full review here.

Nice review Tazz

I noticed that you said that you like to run GPU coolers without a fan controller, does this graphics card control fan speed based on GPU temperature? or is it 100% all the time?
    and is that the dark green graph on the upper one that just says HC92

Also, what GPU cooler are you running? Looks like the Zalman but what model? (you referenced the CPU cooler when talking about the noise level of the HC92 on low)

Thanks
    DB

I noticed that you said that you like to run GPU coolers without a fan controller, does this graphics card control fan speed based on GPU temperature? or is it 100% all the time?
    In the stock form, yes the nvidia 8800 cards control their fans RPM based on the GPU temperature. This is only with the stock cooler. The after market coolers use a separate 3-pin power connection rather than the fan header on the VGA card itself.

is that the dark green graph on the upper one that just says HC92
    The HC92 is the cooler plugged in to the 3-pin header on the mother board, where as the others have the controller connected. The reason I took the non-controller reading was to see if the controller did in fact put out full power. With a lot of controllers you will find that they will not put out 100%.

Also, what GPU cooler are you running? Looks like the Zalman but what model? (you referenced the CPU cooler when talking about the noise level of the HC92 on low)
    CPU cooler? (damn typos ). Yes I should have mentioned that. The CPU cooler you see in those shots is the Ultra X-Wind 90mm Copper version. I was running tests on another review (will be out shortly) that required a low profile cooler. That one is the only one I have out of a handful that would allow me to install the review product in SLI configuration. At the lower RPM's the Hurricane is relatively quiet. What noise is created will easily be drowned out with most CPU coolers and case fans.

The main reasons I don't run fan controllers is due to the extra wires that need to be tucked away and the fact that I normally run everything at maximum RPM for optimal cooling. My setup is normally considered in the loud category due to the fans I run for case cooling. The Ultra Glossy 120mm fans are fairly loud compared to the other fans in their stock form, adding the mesh grills and also drilling the holes for the LEDs increased their noise levels.

Any chance this cooler could be made to fit on an 8800GT?

Honestly, I do not think this version of the cooler will work to well with the 8800GT's board layout. If you compare the board layout of the GT vs the GTS you will see that the layout on the GT looks much more like the older 7 series cards. ZeroTherm does offer this in a non-8800 version that possibly would be a closer match. With the 8800GT's being relatively new I would suggest holding off a little bit to see if the cooler manufactures do make revisions for the 8800GT.

Thread Information