Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project: Zato-1

Project: Zato-1

Start Date: TBA (january most likely)
    End Date: N/A

Objective's:
    -Increase performance (New vid card and PSU)
    -Increase Airflow/cooling (using custom case design)

Products: (This is stuff I need to buy)
    -Aluminum (sheets and square tubing)
    -Copper
    -Evga GeForce 8600gts 256MB 128-bit GDDR3
    -Cooler Master eXtreme RP-500-PCAR 500W Power Supply
    -Thermaltake XCONTROLLER 5.25" Fan Controller
    -x3 120mm Silverstone FM121
    -x2 80mm Silverstone FN82
    -Bondo
    -Sandpaper
    -paint

Design Idea: I got the Idea for this from videos of supercars in wind-tunnels, as well as the scene in Aeon Flux where Aeon is trying to enter a facility thru giant tunnels and the PS3
    Anyways the case will be kinda like the PS3 in design, I then can place the cd/dvd-rom and Hard drive where they wont interfere with airflow yet still get enough to stay cool or I might create a seperate "case" for them with its own fan.
    As for paint I was going to have one of my friends paint a picture originally by Luis Royo onto it, but that might change later on.

Reason for Project: I want to attempt to make a functional case that actually improves cooling because of its design not just because it has lots of holes in it to allow air in and out.

I'll take some Pictures in the morning showing a paper model my Idea (I'm no good at drawing or autocad prog's)

Master Modder

I'll keep an eye open for this mod and welcome to MI. If you have any questions please feel free to ask and we'll do our best to answer your question or lead you to an area that can do it for us. You will find that this is the friendliest bunch of people on the net. Plus you might find us quite smart to boot. Merry Christmas and Happy Modding to ya.

Sounds like a cool design concept. Can't wait to see the drawings.

Alright, I was having some issue's creating the model (I have no tape to hold it together) So I used google SketchUp.. However I couldnt get the oval shape I wanted but heres what I got.

The front(its ment to be oval shaped..but I dunno how to do that so this is as close as i got)

The rear

Image I'm going to have painted on

Now I dont know much about SketchUp so I'm going to need help now.
    I saved my file and when I re-open the file there are no textures on the case, all it is, is just lines

Master Modder

seems like a cool idea to me, i like it but...i cant help u there with sketchup as i dont use it as my mind is my sketchup lol good luck with getting this started and dont forget the moment u do, please can let us have some pics!!!
    razer

Looks interesting.

Master Modder

Sorry but I can't help you either with Sketchup. I've never used it, there are members that do so hopefully they will answer soon for you. Any body that does the Sketchup program please give Testament some help. Merry Christmas and Happy Modding to ya.

I use it, but I usually only deal with right angles and I get more complex shapes down on paper. I only use it to determine measurements and clearances, and to see what I can and cannot do with the space that I have. I use my imagination in conjunction with sketchup when I have to deal with angles and curves and such. I can see where you're going with that, and I don't think that you can make ovals in sketchup . There's a half-circle tool that you might want to use, though. Try http://scc.jezmckean.com/cat/1 for pre-made components. Keep playing around with it, and keep your thought grounded in reality. How are you planning on forming that kind of bend? You could make a cardboard model, fill it with cement, and bend the aluminum around that. Just a suggestion. BTW, welcome to Modders-inc, and I hope that you find what you're looking for here.

I have a variety of tools for shaping metal, but for that bend I'll probably take a piece of 2x4 and shape it to what I need, then I'll just beat the metal into shape.

Anyways I was browsing thru various mods and saw something that I liked from the "Doom" case, and that would be the base made for it, I am now thinking of just getting an actual case and modifying it and adding a seperate area for the hard drives and optical drives leaving only the PSU and Mobo in the case Itself.. that or I might save that for my PC at the shop.

Master Modder

Here are some more stuff for Sketchup for your information. Hope we are being helpful to you. Merry Christmas and Happy Modding to ya.
    http://scc.jezmckean.com/author/Brubacker

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information