Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A Crazy Idea!!

A Crazy Idea!!

Ok, I know I am nutz, but have any of you ever thought about doing a mod with say 2 or more folks working on it, and the kicker, from different parts of the country?!?!? Ok, say one person does the chassis work at his place, another does side panels at his place, another the front panel at his place and so on. Seems several of us a pretty far away from each other, but if it were possible it might be fun. And who knows,maybe one heck of a mod for M-I done by M-I Members. Or maybe even form 2 - 3 teams from M-I and have a contest, to involve more of the M-I members.

Ok, I know, I think too much!!!!

Told you it was crazy

Clear Coat

A Crazy Idea!!

Sounds like a good idea, but... everyone would have to have a the same case/collaboratively fabricate it otherwise shipping is going to be a horribly large part of the expenses. I would love to see that results of that, even if i wouldnt participate.

A Crazy Idea!!

I was thinking one case split several ways lol. Yep, shipping would be part of it, but I am sure shipping would be cheaper than us traveling across the US to collaborate.

A Crazy Idea!!

I think this isn't such a bad idea at all! Yeah, crazy but still cool

If you get a team together, maybe I'll join in (altho, it's gonna be a "lil" expensive to mail to the US from Europe but ok.. :P)

Clear Coat

A Crazy Idea!!

Yeah... I was thinking the same thing, but if say, everyone had a Centurion 5 or w/e to work off of, then they would know the parts would fit, even if one person does the window, one person does the chassis, and w/e. Still a great idea. get all the people that dont actively participate in the mod to throw down a couple dollars to collaboratively pay for shipping.

A Crazy Idea!!

Hmm...keep this going.

NO PROMISES but maybe M-I can do something to help this out.

A few rules would need to be laid out.

There would need to be a FIRM completed dated.

A time limit that each team member would get to complete their mod.

Shipping time has to be thought about (normally a case takes about 4-5 days across the US).

Off the top of my head...a 4 member team could do it in about 6 months ( 1 month for shipping, 1 month per member (4), 1 month misc.) 1 + 4 + 1 = 6

A Crazy Idea!!

Hmm...keep this going.

NO PROMISES but maybe M-I can do something to help this out.

A few rules would need to be laid out.

There would need to be a FIRM completed dated.

A time limit that each team member would get to complete their mod.

Shipping time has to be thought about (normally a case takes about 4-5 days across the US).

Off the top of my head...a 4 member team could do it in about 6 months ( 1 month for shipping, 1 month per member (4), 1 month misc.) 1 + 4 + 1 = 6
    Might take much less time if only the sections to be modded were shipped. Say 1 person gets the side panels for window cutting, 1 gets the chassis for adding fans and paint detail, one gets the front panel and finally one gets the front panel. Then have one person pull them all together with the the final paint / assembly / mods. Would be like sending a part off to have it painted or laser cut etc.

I agree, it would require a nice set of rules, and time limits. I would also suggest each team had at least one M-I admin/mod on it, to help give it a strong foundation with M-I. ( that includes you AF and Tazz. lol )

And also, a (with strong team member participation) planning stage should take place, with possibly a deadline to come up with an agreed course for the mod. Needs to be made clear if you can't do the desired mod job, then do not accept that responsibility. lol

Like already stated, lots of thought needs to be put into this before anyones jumps in.

Things to consider;
    1) minimum age limit to participate (not that you young folks do not have talent, it's just parental concerns and responsibility for said parts comes to mind)

2) M-I Forum participation level ?

3) the chosen case should be a popular easy to come by case (just in case parts get lost 8O )

4) budget

5) understood that the finished product's use and ownership would be determined by M-I

6) team sizes (if even enough participation warrants separate teams)

And many more things yet to be thought of I am sure.

A Crazy Idea!!

The idea has been thought about a few times by a few of us.

We would definitely need to lock down on a set of rules before we start.

It is very plausable and could be very interesting depending on how the design process goes. I could see this working for 2 - 4 people per team depending on what each person is willing to do. We will have to see how many people are interested. From that point we can then decide if all teams would build from the same base case and so on.

A) 1 - exterior, and 1 - chassis/assemble
    B) 1 - both sides, 1 - top/front, and 1 - chassis/assemble
    C) 1 - both side, 1 - top, 1 - front, and 1 - chassis/assemble

The chassis/assembler is going to have potentially the most work to do, depending on the person, more time might need allotted to this person depending on what all is decided to be done.

There would need to be a design stage that all parties agree on so that the theme of the case can be consistent from panel to panel.

Complete parts lists would need to be done and each party would need to make sure that their parts/supplies will work with the others. For example if Modder1 was to do the sides utilizing fiberglass or bondo and sent the panel back primed (would need to be at least primed to prevent rusting during shipment providing this is done in the next few months). The primer used would need to be selected based on the final paint that is going to be used and so forth. Wouldn't want to force someone to have to sand down a unit completely because there is a reaction between paint and primer.

A Crazy Idea!!

I think a plain old case would be the best to use.

Once a case is found then I think the forum members should select the theme of the cases. Something like Army, Navy, Air Force.

Each mod should have a minimum set of mods. Again something like Windows, switch controlled fan, and etc.

A budget would HAVE to be a must.

A Crazy Idea!!

This sound like a great idea! But as dex said, it would be crazy expensive to ship things overseas. Maybe there could be a europe vs. US contest, or at least two separate teams for each side of the pond. Everything else I was going to say has already been said :P

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information