Thread: Painting Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

Painting Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

Mnpctech Guide to Dismantle, Fill, Prep/Paint Logitech MX518 Gaming Mouse

You will find 3, marked cross patterns for screw locations, using blade

Once opened, these 6 screws must be removed. 3 fasten in the switch for the right hand buttons

After removing right side button switch, 3 more screws are located beneath and must be removed

Before you can remove the MX518 mouse cover, you may have to push
    up the left/right mouse buttons up to clear the mouse body.
    Then, gently, pull the cover off towards the rear of the mouse.

Apply masking alongside the MX518 Logitech emblem before prying off emblem with small flat head screwdriver.

Scuff surface of MX518 with 400 grit sandpaper

To fill in the emblem hole, I'm using Evercoat, Metalworks, Polyester Glazing Putty with Blue Cream Hardener (not pictured)

Mixing 1/4" size drop of Evercoat with dab of Blue Cream Hardener (not pictured)

Filling emblem hole of MX518

If you apply too much filler, use paper towel to wipe off excess filler

Allow filler to cure for 60 minutes before sanding with 400 grit sandpaper

BEFORE PAINTING: USE THE PROPER SAFETY PRECAUTIONS

1. Wear Filtered Respirator Mask, Approved For Applying Automotive Aerosols

2. Work in Well Ventilated Area

SEM Self Etching Primer #3967. This primer is intended for coating bare metal and aluminum surfaces, but given me good results
    on plastic. It's the only "self-etching" primer product I've used on plastic, so I can't vouch for what type of results you'll get from other brand "self etching" primer products. If you can't find SEM #3967, for primer coating plastic, I recommend using either SEM's "Flexible primer" #39133 or Plastikote brand "Flexible primer" #467

4 coats of primer... allow to cure for at least 2 hours

Now for that custom touch, Mnpctech Airbrush Artist, Brad Galvin uses masking paper to draw Maltese cross

We applied PPG Polyurethane Clearcoat (applied HVLP spray gun), but you can use Automotive touch-up aerosol paint that is a Enamel based clearcoat

Excellent guide Bill. Yup the automotive paints will work great too, just take your time and make sure you have the right primer, paint, and clear coat that will work with each other.

Always Clear Coat keyboards, and mice if your painting them. I think I did 4 or 5 layers of clear on my last set. If you don't get enough on there you will find out real quick just how well paint wears off.

I think it's blemished Bill.... tell ya what, I'll trade you my slightly used MX518 so you can redo it without having to re-sand. I'll even pay shipping!!

LOL jk

That is an awesome job on painting the mouse. Looks absolutely fantastic!

Darn awesome

have you ever painted an MX-610 too?

Master Modder

I agree with each and everyone that posted before I did. Your airbrush artist is just that, an artist. Brad is doing a bang up job with the airbrushing. Once I get back to MN I would like to meet him and the whole crew in fact. We were informed just before Christmas that the house that we are living in is going to be put up for sale. So we have decided that if we have to move we might as well go the whole route. This means that we will be moving to MN when the house sells. We have this plan of 5yrs or $5000.00 which ever comes first, we would move to MN. We didn't think about the house selling out from under us but it now stands that if the house sells then we don't have to worry about the 5yrs or $5000.00. lol So it may be earlier than planned and I'll let you know when it happens and when I'll be able to make the trip to the Cities to meet you folks. Happy Modding to ya.

I think it's blemished Bill.... tell ya what, I'll trade you my slightly used MX518 so you can redo it without having to re-sand. I'll even pay shipping!!
    We'll paint yr mouse for good deal.. just give me hollar with what you want painted on it

It will be cheaper to dismantle it and send just the shell..

have you ever painted an MX-610 too?
    No, but I don't see why we can't.. sending just the shell will save you in costs

I agree with each and everyone that posted before I did. Your airbrush artist is just that, an artist. Brad is doing a bang up job with the airbrushing. Once I get back to MN I would like to meet him and the whole crew in fact. We were informed just before Christmas that the house that we are living in is going to be put up for sale. So we have decided that if we have to move we might as well go the whole route. This means that we will be moving to MN when the house sells. We have this plan of 5yrs or $5000.00 which ever comes first, we would move to MN. We didn't think about the house selling out from under us but it now stands that if the house sells then we don't have to worry about the 5yrs or $5000.00. lol So it may be earlier than planned and I'll let you know when it happens and when I'll be able to make the trip to the Cities to meet you folks. Happy Modding to ya.
    Like I said Shorty, you'll be put to work while you're here

Master Modder

Sounds like fun to me. We are getting gitty about the move back. We are hoping that we won't have to move until this spring or summer. We really don't what to move in the middle of winter. lol Happy Modding to ya.

hmmm, interesting ..... I have a MX 500 that i believe the shell is identical, .... at least the grey area. I'll have to check. lol

Your pictures of modding are all gone

The mouse was released in 2005 so there's a good chance this thread is 5 years old...

Thread Information