Thread: 8800gt overclocking

Master Modder

8800gt overclocking

ok guys wana overclock my card, but for some STRANGE reason every time i try to overclock it using the progame supplyed....it wont work the programe gos on about something not passing a test or sumit, i dont need it to pass a test! even when i underclock the card it still say that it failed the test....anyonne know whats goin on here????

razer

8800gt overclocking

Which specific card is it to start with? Some of the current cards are pushed pretty hard from the get go.

Master Modder

8800gt overclocking

well, its the evga 8800gt superclocked crysis edition......512mb see even so shouldnt i be able to lower the clock settings??? i had the same problem with my 7600gt

8800gt overclocking

Well I cant figure out why people buy the OC and SUPER OC cards from the factory and then want to push them further past what they are already OC'd. I OC for certain reviews here and there, and like to see what I can hit, but I rarely leave OC's in. I will 99% of the time revert back to stock once I know what my peak is.

Well for OCing the card I would assume you are using either Rivia Tuner or NTune. Both of these will actually test the clock before they apply it. The reason for the test in the first place, is to try and prevent someone from OCing the card to much. If it wont pass the test, it will not run the clock stable.

The Super Clocked cards are being pushed pretty hard from the get go and are generally the cherry picked cards that will handle it. Unfortunately not all of them like it, and can not handle going a little more. There could be a couple of reasons why the card is failing the test.

Is the card getting appropriate power?
    Are you using the current drivers or are you using the supplied drivers?

If your using the current drivers, try dropping back to the supplied drivers with the card. If your using the supplied drivers try using the current ones. I seen to many times where a card likes certain drivers and dislikes others. My GTS's are a prime example. They run the best on an older version while the other two GTS's I have been playing with run best on the current drivers.

Then there always could be the issue of the card actually not being worthy of the clocks its set at. Does it artifact at the current clock when pushed via gaming?

8800gt overclocking

Most of the card makers are getting better at locking the GPU and Memory from being adjusted. I have found that you get more OC from the GPU while the Memory is pretty tight. Sometimes even going just a few points above the default memory setting with cause the card to fail.

Try adjusting the GPU first and see what happens.

Thread Information