Well not to long ago while AmericanFreak and I was in the process of working on the two Cooler Master mods. We was contacted about building a couple of mods for another company. We would need to build two mods that are both slated to their debut at Cebit. Our deadline for the builds would be a short 2 month time frame.
We had two cases presented to us to build the mods off of. Like always, budgets are a must . So with a set budget, set cases to be used as the base. We both started talking about who would do which case and what we had in mind. Well I wont spoil AF's build but I will start slipping in some images on mine. I have been working on my plans for about a month, while waiting for parts to start rolling in so I can start the process.
The case I am working with is the Apevia QPack2 case. Choosing this one out of the two was pretty easy for me seeing that I had already played with a couple of the Micro-Fly cases which are basically the same case but a little longer.
The Starting Point:
As I stated the cases had already been picked out and we simply have to go from there. I did want to go with a non-windowed case so that I could cut the windows different from the standard. They didn't offer the Gold version without windows so windowed it was.
Above we see the stock form of the QPack2 and how its laid out. Originally I had thought about just doing something quick and simple. I didn't really have a lot of time to play around and already had a pretty hefty work schedule with other stuff for the site.
With winter being here and seeing the problems I ran into trying to get the CM mod painted in the cold weather. We decided early on that we would be farming out some of the painting that I would need done for this mod. This would allow me to focus on the main modding side of it and still be able to work on my other stuff.
My first rough draft I had pitched to Zotac for this was based off of my Sli-Fly mod that I done a little while back. I originally didn't plan on going to hardcore on the mod (yes that changes).
So after grabbing a few images to use for the mockup, I photochopped my way through it to just give a basic design of the case. I explained all the issues that this case brings with it so that they didnt have to worry about having to many surprises during the build.
It was a pretty simple design. Planning on doing a yellowish orange to flames over a black main body and then some logos and characters from Zotac on the case.
At this point we started locking down the parts list for the build so that we could work around everything. Once I knew what hardware would be running in this we listed up some alternate parts that we could use to do the pre-builds, get the systems up and running. Tweak anything that needs it.
So now we are waiting for the parts to start coming in the door. We still have yet to decide on exactly what added components we would be using (lights, fans, all that stuff). In this stage of the process, I had already started re-thinking my design and started to get the urge to change it up a little bit. Unfortunately, I had already either given awy or sold any and all Small Form Factor parts I had .
So I had to wait for the case to come before I could decide on what to do.
The Case will be relatively clean on the inside. They plan on using a USB optical drive, a 160 GB hard drive, and then the video card (named at a later date), motherboard (named at a later date), and CPU (named at a later date). I know this was going to be housing a motherboard and video card that have yet to be released when it was all said and done. So that brings in the next issue. This had to be easy for someone else to swap out the Video, Mobo, and CPU.
These cases are not the funnest things to work on due to the tight constraints. In stock form the case also has very limited viewing from the windows. With the PSU taking up most of the left and top, then the optical drive covering a large portion. You catch a glimpse of whats in side and thats about it. Well seeing that this is going to be a display case for the Zotac products, that just wouldn't cut it. At this point I planed on removing all inner brackets on the case and planed on using a rod on the right side like is used on the left (small chrome rod that goes from the front to back for support). I just happened to have one left over from a previous mod (the only thing I had left ). This would allow me to open things up a bit and allow people to be able to see much more of whats in the case.
So at this point I am waiting on the case and other parts to show up.... More to come