Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: dell halo3 window

dell halo3 window

This weekend I finally convinced my friend to lend me his computer's side panel, with a promise of a halo 3 window etching. He's a huge halo fan so that's the idea that did it.

To start, here's the stock panel

See the big support? That has to go! So I assumed it was held in via pop rivets, so i drilled it out

Strangely it wasn't, so instead i cut one side of it, and pulled it out (which in the end was quite easy)

Then I used a fake CD (the ones that come from the spindles) to trace the sides of the window

As I prepared for cutting, I masked the panel carefully, as I planned on retaining the stock white look.

And off we go, here's many pictures of the cutting progression

And here it is with the U-Channel trim, from MNPCTech.com, obviously the panel is very dirty.

Next it was on to the window etch. I hope no one misses pictures of me cutting the plexi, I didnt take any

A nice halo 3 "3" logo, cropped and inverted (to save ink) with MS pain

Some cutting progression

Heres the layout of the "double sided tape of the gods"

And here's the final installation!

Sadly I dont have any pictures of it on his little rig, but if I can get them later I will, I'm also going to offer him some lighted fans for added effect. Thanks for reading!

Master Modder

dell halo3 window

Mighty fine work you did sir. Mighty fine. Your friend should really appreciate it very much. Happy Modding to ya.

dell halo3 window

looks really good.. i'm trying to work up the guts and the materials to put a window in my own case.

dell halo3 window

Looks good. How long did it take you?

dell halo3 window

1 1/2 to 2 hours start to finish

The etching was quick while cutting the window itself was the longest part. I think I'm starting to develop my own style of etching as well (very rough but still something concrete)

twitch: As far as materials; you can either find a local acrylics store or order it online. I use a local shop.

Just walk in and ask for a medium size sheet of cutoff. Be prepared to spend from 10-20$ (from my experience)
    That sheet gives you enough for a large window and lots to break/screw up with/play around with

Master Modder

dell halo3 window

ive did an etch window befoe it is hard work well done though for pulling it of tho!

dell halo3 window

I'm currently working with my friend via text messages on finding a place to install the green LED fan haha

dell halo3 window

update: since he has a small dell PC the only casefan is part of a duct that is attached to the heatsink

I'll probably wire some LEDs together (although ive never gotten a set working to this day) and we'll take it from there

dell halo3 window

Cool window buddy

dell halo3 window

update: since he has a small dell PC the only casefan is part of a duct that is attached to the heatsink

I'll probably wire some LEDs together (although ive never gotten a set working to this day) and we'll take it from there
    I was just getting ready to recommend side lighting that bad boy! If you have had problems with LED's in the past, go to a modding supply shop and look for pre-built units. Or pick up some of those multi LED prebuilt units that are only a couple of bucks.... plug it into the molex, and voila!

Your etch will REALLY pop! I guess for Halo, you could go green or yellow.

*OR* you could put . 2 different color LED's on each end, and have the logo fade from one color to the other!

(I did that with blingGreen!)

Fun stuff!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information