Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dremel/Rotary Tools

Dremel/Rotary Tools

Whats the best kind of Rotary tool I can buy for rather cheap (less than $50) that will be good for cutting case parts and general modding?

Dremel/Rotary Tools

I Use the Craftsman rotary tool, I have it in both the variable speed a single speed versions. Can't beat it in mu opinion.

Master Modder

Dremel/Rotary Tools

I too own the Craftsman rotary tool and it's a whole lot better than the Dremel ever thought about being. Don't waste your money on the Dremel product unless it's the only thing available for you. I own a Dremel AC powered and battery powered along with the Craftsman and that is why I'm saying go with Craftsman. Happy Modding to ya.

Dremel/Rotary Tools

I just need to cut the metal case and some plexi. So the craftsman would be best, what cutting tools will i need?

Dremel/Rotary Tools

I have always been a Dremel man, but I might have to check out the Craftsman and that endorsement.

Using a rotary tool to cut out the window will take sometime but it can and has been done. If it is just a plain window or a mild design you might look at using a jigsaw. It will cut the metal and the plexi with different blades and all can be had for less then the $50 total.

A rotary tool is still a good choice and if you do look at getting the reinforced cutting disk. They may cost a bit more but last longer.

Master Modder

Dremel/Rotary Tools

Also all Dremel tools will fit in the Craftsman and vice a versa. When it comes to cutting any type of plastic remember that to much speed will cause the plastic to melt from the heat and stick back together. So don't get the cutting tool going to fast. You can use the side cutting drill bits on the plexy also but remember to keep the speed down. Happy Modding to ya.

Dremel/Rotary Tools

Ok. Thanks for the help... One last question though. Whats better, cordless or corded rotary tools?

Master Modder

Dremel/Rotary Tools

They both have a place, so if you can manage to own both I would do it. I have both on my income which is one of the lowest incomes that people in this country can have. My favorite battery version is a $20.00 Black & Decker Wizard rotary tool, I own a battery Dremel and the Black & Decker is the better of the two. The Dremel is the smaller of the two but the B&D is the better. The AC powered has rotary tool has the flex-shaft available to use which is great to have. I got the Craftsman Rotary Tool kit which came with the flex-shaft and it comes in handy because it's so much smaller than the battery rotary tool. So each one has it's place and if you can get both I would do so. Hope this helps you make a decision that you will be happy with. Happy Modding to ya.

Dremel/Rotary Tools

I've got a ryobi corded w/ flex shaft and it works fine for me. The only thing that I don't like about the cord is that it clutters up my workbench.

Dremel/Rotary Tools

Like em3bilko said the side cutting bit is great on plastic. If you have the router attachment (looks like a cone and holds tool away from the material) use it. With the router attachment you can clamp a straight edge to your work and guide it down the edge. Just be sure to clamp the edge tight on the side that you are going to keep.

Looks like this (for the Dremel that anyway)
    http://www.dremel.com/en-us/attachments-and-accessories/attachment-accessory-detail.htm?H=188575&G=69679&I=69795

Also I don't know what kind of window plastic you are using but, Lucite Lowe"s sells is crap! Go to the Home Depot and get real Lexan, its tougher and cuts better with a lot less melting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information