Thread: The PantMod

The PantMod

I was feeling especially creative (and bored) today, so I decided to turn my modding attention to my pants. Here are the materials that I used: an old pair of lucky jeans, a handmade flame stencil, some duplicolor vinyl & fabric paint, and a load of pushpins.

I didn't stay too close to the lines, but that's okay. As long as the cut looks good. The softness of paint minimizes any minor hard edges.

Close up of the paint:

It's made for dashboards, seats, and other vinyl/fabric things. I was under the impression when I bought it that it would lay down vinyl like paint, turning whatever I painted into vinyl. Not so much.

Push pins:

You need these.

There's a small stump in my back yard.

Here's what it's for:

I stuffed cardboard in the leg of the jeans, then pinned my stencil and some newspaper to the cardboard. I used a pizza box to protect the rest of the pants from overspray. The 11x17 piece of paper that I used didn't go all the way around the leg of my jeans. I fixed that later.

With stencil removed:

That trapezoid is no good. Back out to the yard to fix it. I lined newspaper up with the angles, tacked it down, and sprayed.

I did the triangle after dark without (much) light, and spraying black paint was a little unnerving. If I had been painting anything that wasn't pants, I would have waited till the next day.

The triangle/spike:

The trapezoid still shows through, as I did paint it twice. It looks like it belongs, so I'm not too worried.

And me wearing them:

Victory! I can't wait to wear these tomorrow. Well, I'm wearing them right now, but nobody's here to see. I wish that I had moved the stencil farther up the leg, as the folds of the pants kind of hide the flames . Other than that I'm quite pleased. Let me know what you think!

Master Modder

The PantMod

Looking good sir, looking good. Keep up with the good work and Happy Modding to ya.

Wet Sanded

The PantMod

I like that. Maybe you should put the spike on the outside next time though. I really like how unique it is. I'm kind of thinking I'm going to copy you though... If only college hadn't made me broke..

The PantMod

thats actually pretty cool. Great way to use your thinking cap. I would have never thought of that.

The PantMod

Thanks guys. I actually intended the spike to be on the outside, but I pinned the stencil in the wrong place by mistake. Oh well.

The PantMod

Darn sweet!

You never know you might be onto a new trend!

Thread Information