Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Painting plastic?

Clear Coat

Painting plastic?

Im painting a plastic piece off of my mouse, and I was wondering what would be the best way to do it.

I found some "Rust-Oleum direct to plastic" paints in rattlecans, but I wasnt sure what (if any) clear coat I should put over it.

Is a direct to plastic paint the right direction, or should I be leaning towards a primer for plastics then automotive paint?

Of course you guys can probably guess why this question is here, so no fake answers please! :lol:

Seriously though, thanks for any help.

Painting plastic?

Personally, I use the following in the rattle can form.

1) Plastic adhesion promoter.
    2) Self etching primer.
    3) Automotive paint.
    4) Clear coat.

Depending on the color and paint I use, I sometimes skip the clear coat step. Some paints are durable enough to get by with. Most of the time though, you will want to add at least 2 - 3 layers of clear over it so it gives it a longer wear time . I am sure some of you have used a mouse or keyboard long enough that you have wore through their stock paints and can see the plastic underneath.

Clear Coat

Painting plastic?

Cool... automotive store? Doesnt sound like Im going to find that at the Home Depot.

Painting plastic?

Just about any automotive store carries aerosol cans of automotive paint. Plasti-Kote and Dupli-Color are the two I have used in the past.

Painting plastic?

Wal Mart did carry it. Everything Tazz has listed above, I have bought it all there. However, some have stopped carrying it near me. However, Autozone has it.

Painting plastic?

Larger/newer Fred Meyers have a decent selection of paints at really low prices. Automotive stores do have the best selection of special spray paints, but I always feel like I'm getting overcharged. But then, I don't like paying retail for anything.

Clear Coat

Painting plastic?

Cool... I picked up my the supplies, and as soon as I have enough free time from schoolwork, its painting time. (sorry to all of those people who dont have perfect California weather :-) )

Painting plastic?

Pick up Krylon Fusion for Plastics, No primer needed or sanding. I picked some up tonight for my pc case. I'll let you know how it works i plan on trying to start painting on my case this week.

Master Modder

Painting plastic?

I know that Krylon for plastic says that it's ready to put straight onto plastic but at leasts give it a good cleaning if your not going to give it a light sanding. Happy Modding to ya.

Painting plastic?

I use Krylon fusion often, on surfaces that will not be subjected to wear. Does it work? Absolutely, however, I still suggest you sand lightly before applying for better adhesion especially if your going to have to use it on metal surfaces also for color matching. This way you will also keep a uniform pattern in how your paint lays down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information