Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whilst picking a PSU...

Whilst picking a PSU...

How many amps should I be looking for on the 12v rails? I know companies like to inflate 3v & 5v. Thanks

PS. I plan to SLI in the future if thats a factor.

Clear Coat

Whilst picking a PSU...

you need to add up the draw of your devices... somewhere I found a chart of common values, but the graphics and processor and stuff should tell you somewhere in the stat/spec sheet what their draw is.

Whilst picking a PSU...

Just for info.. Best option would be only one +12V rail..

else.. -->fusinfun's post; depends on your setup

Whilst picking a PSU...

Kind of depends on the cards you are looking to do in SLI. Will they be newer or older cards?

Whilst picking a PSU...

Well I'm thinking of just picking up another 8600gt till the 9800's come down in price and/or I see more DX10 games and such out. So not huge power requirements, but I'd like to be able to upgrade and not have to worry about my psu.

Whilst picking a PSU...

most psus that advertise multiple 12v rails only have 1 rail. so just add those up. go for at least 50 amps.

Whilst picking a PSU...

most psus that advertise multiple 12v rails only have 1 rail. so just add those up. go for at least 50 amps.
    Not to be an ass or anything.. I don't think that's true :P
    Why would they advertise more rails if it's actually only one, if less rails is better? (that'd be my logic tho..)

Whilst picking a PSU...

How many amps should I be looking for on the 12v rails? I know companies like to inflate 3v & 5v. Thanks

PS. I plan to SLI in the future if thats a factor.
    @ Assassin

To honestly answer that question you need to list your current specs (this allows us to see what you have now and can get by with) and then list your possible upgrade (which will see what we need to allow room for with the PSU).

@ Dex

Most multiple rail PSU's are in fact single rail PSU's. This has been documented by several of the top PSU reviews. Rather than drawing the process out and hijacking the post I will give you a single link that should help clarify things a little. Link

Whilst picking a PSU...

Ahh if it's for that, then I guess it "can" be better in most cases, if something goes wrong in the PC

But I do know that when I'm buying a PSU.. I'm gonna buy the one with the least rails/most output amperage@12V :P (I use PSUs for power supplies but only 10% for PCs in my case :P)
    They are very handy for high power (they are switchers ofc ), they don't weight much, almost no maintenance needed (I have to change the fuse sometimes but only if I really overload a PSU :P)

Oh just for info.. my latest addition:
    LC6550 V2.0 - 550W
    I wanted something quiet for the lights I'm gonna put in my room (LEDs, CCFLs etc..)
    Some day (and no, it's not an Aplril Fools joke xD)

Whilst picking a PSU...

Well I can tell you what I plan to run. In the short future I plan to get the other 8600gt vcard, an AMD AM2 processor 5000+ dual core, 4gb ram although I haven't decided on which brand/model yet, going to get a SATAII HD of a small flavor (40-120g), I have 2 120mm fans and then an 80mm. I'll also have a DVD-rom in there. So any kind of rough estimate would be of a great help to me.

Dont think I missed anything... I mean theres the sound card but I've never seen a powerhog sound card :/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information