Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: building first pc help!!!!!

building first pc help!!!!!

hi there im building my first pc, i want to use the pc for a media player, i want to rig it up to my tv and store dvd's and all my music on it
    play dvds on my tv and internet

i dont know what mother board to use, what chip i need to do what i have said above, what grafics card and sound card. and ram

i was wanting to put it all in a small case i have seen alot on here with clear sides so i can put in so led fans and lights etc

plz help

Master Modder

how much are you wanting to spend on it? alot a lil, a cheap media pc i would say would cost probs around £200 and still do the job in any other case it will be above that, the graphics card, will it be just a media player? or a gaming rig as well?? you need to answer these before hand if your going to use it for gaming i would try to get a 8800gt or anything above as this would be good for video aswel, although cooling is a must if you get a 8800gt as they produce alot of heat and you want a small case right?

about 400, i want it in a small case too with clear sides so i can put led's in it

its just for dvd's, music and internet, want to rig it to tv too

Master Modder

erm well i would get a dual core system, wouldnt sli it and would use a 8600gt im sure you can find the low profile ones around, i think i would use a core 2 duo as there ment to be cool running cpus, motherboard wise im not so sure but i think many will do the trick, or even better one dedicated to be used as a media center board.....they are out there hope this helps,

not realy as i dont know anything about parts lol, just want some one to tell me what to get

Master Modder

ok, well if someone else doesnt beat me to it...i will update you in around 48hours when i come back to my rig other than that you will defo need a tv-card :P

What are you going to use for a Monitor? An LCD? CRT, or a actual TV? If you use an LCD with a built in tuner or something you are going to need a different video card than one without. What have you planned for that?

tv

Well doing an HTPC with a TV as the monitor isnt always a good result. I've done it with both ATI and NVIDIA low to mid range cards, the font is hard to read on a TV. Thats assuming most TV's are going to use the resolution of 1024 x 768 or less.

Hardware wise, just about any decent configuration will handle doing what you have listed. I currently run a AMD 3800+ single core on a Sapphire board with a 7600GT and a 32" TV as my HTPC and it does fine. I don't use it to do any encoding or anything like that. If your going to get into that side of it then you will want to bump things up a bit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information