Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MX1000 -- Wired Laser Mouse

Clear Coat

MX1000 -- Wired Laser Mouse

Being not the most diligent of picture taking people, there might be a few gaps in the visuals of this worklog; ah here comes one! I don't have a before disassembly picture.

I have this nice MX1000 wireless laser mouse from Logitech. I used it for about a 2 years, but then the AC adapter for the charging station broke, and it would only work (charge the mouse) after 10 minutes of fussing. Eventually, I found that I could use one of my spare MP3 player's charger to power the charging station. This was still fiddly, but less so than before. Then one day, I walked into best buy with some gift cards and Reward Zone "money" and saw a nice Razer Deathadder for $40 (open box). So I walked out of best buy with a nice new gaming mouse; no batteries, never off, and ridiculous sensitivity and accuracy.

This relegated my MX1000 to being used once every couple of weeks to change settings on my nearly headless SSH server. The last full battery charge lasted over 3 months, and I was still using it to test the mouse during my mod.

There were two problems with my MX1000 even when I bought it:
    - Its surrounded by two computers (sometimes 3) a couple monitors, a wireless router, the cordless phone, and a 15 year old microwave. It had major issues with interference.
    - You had to charge the batteries, very inconvenient for someone as forgetful as I am. In the middle of a huge research paper: "oh CRAP! my batteries are dead!" or in the middle of a Counter-Strike domination spree having to switch to keyboard aiming.... The Batteries had to go.

And then along came a Mouse Modding competition. A perfect time to fix everything wrong about my mouse.

This is my workspace, an unused portion of the kitchen table.

This is the Mainboard from the Mouse(the ribbon cable goes to the thumb button's pcb):

And the PCB from the base station (sorry no disassembly pics)

The antenna trace on the PCB took up too much room, so I scraped the solder-mask off two points and shorted it with a wire, dropping the resistance a few ohms. Then I cut that section off, taking the Reset button with it (i never used it on the original station anyway... it was worthless)
    Top:

Bottom:

Now if I was going to move the base station into the mouse, there was nowhere to put the large Lithium Ion battery pack(bright blue rectangle in the first pic), now was there? I needed to power the mouse somehow.... so I looked around and thought: USB! Its pretty darn close to the right requirements. 3.7V 1700mA is close enough to 5v 500mA.... kinda. I decided to throw another USB connector into the mix so I could use 5v 1000mA just in case.

2 plug USB set up: The original Logitech (rounded) connector carries signal and power, the blockier connector carries power only.

The Battery connector

I removed the yellow wire (signal? monitoring? charging?)

This is what the final wiring inside the mouse ended up looking like:
    the black 4 pin connector will connect to the base station PCB, and you can see the power cables are split between the mouse mainboard (plugged in) and the original connector.

On to Cometics!

The original color, a bit grimy:

This is my amazing spray station, a wire stuffed into one of the screw holes on the back of the insert, and wrapped around what used to be an awning. That was after the initial 1000 grit sandpapering, and a couple coats of Duplicolor Adhesion Promoter (Clear) (random website, i got mine at Kragen)

Here after a bit of "Deep Jewel Green" paint (also from Duplicolor)

And a bit more:

I managed to get some running on the last coat, so I had to do some sanding, and more coats of color (lighter coats this time). I didn't take pictures of that or the clear-coating for some reason...

After it came down from clear-coating....

And finally I put it all back together, screws and all:

Full power break-in test last night and it works! Also, because I could, I removed the little spring wire that made the mouse wheel click, so now it rolls like the MX Revolution... As fast as you can throw it.

About 2000 pictures, sorted, photoshopped and uploaded say that my new wired MX1000 works a treat.

This is my first serious mod, so thanks for reading, and comments about my writing, or whatever are greatly welcome!

Jeff

Master Modder

I love your color choice. Plus this is the first mouse that I have ever seen with the wire coming from the side. Awesome work you did, just down right awesome. I like what you did. Happy Modding to ya.

Clear Coat

yeah.. All the wireless stuff gets in the way of the normal front exit cord routing... The only other place for me to place the wire would have been out the back. Luckily enough, my computer is on the floor to the right of me, so the wire works were it is.

Master Modder

nice one! i like what ya did with it, great colour although i must ask, how did you know which wires went where??? (to power it and so on)

Now a days its hard to find a wired mouse at the local shops thats any good, so something like this makes me happy, I think I'll have to copy you on this some day

Clear Coat

Razer -- technically, its still a wireless mouse, the base station has just moved to a half inch from the transmitter -- removing interference problems... The only thing I had to do was figure out which wires were what on the batter pack. Red, Black, Yellow is a pretty common color scheme (+) (-) and signal (3 pin fan connectors for instance) A quick check with the multimeter confirmed, and then I just had to splice the cables. The USB cable has a standard color code: http://pinouts.ru/Slots/USB_pinout.shtml so i just matched colors.

Testament -- Thank you... but have you tried buying a G5 or any of the Razer mice? there are still a lot of great wired mice on the market, even at places like Best Buy.

Nah around here the only wired mouse I've seen are the standard ones most pc's come with. I hate ordering mice online too because I like a comfortable mouse with weight to it.

Clear Coat

Oh... thats too bad. Play it safe and grab a G5 then, its got the adjustable weight cartridge, so it will soon be to your liking.
    Plus if you get one of those cheap wired mice for 10 bucks, you can mod it and win yourself a G5 for mostly free.

Master Modder

i own a g5 trying to write review on it...well hard lol but yea to right its a good mouse! anyhow thanks for the info...ive been meaning to try and figure out how those usbs work cheers

Umm you didn't put 5V supply to the PCB, did you? :|

that could kill the mouse but if you say it works.. yipee then oh btw, you should be able to supply 5V 1A (1000mA) from a single USB port (directly from the motherboard)
    Even though, I think the mouse itself needs only a few mA for it to work (like 20, 30mA I guess..)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information