Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G9 Mouse Mod: Staff Challenge

G9 Mouse Mod: Staff Challenge

Hey all. As you know MI is having a Mod your Mouse modding contest. Since I am a member of the staff here I can't enter and win any of the cool prizes but in fun I thought I would do a mod for Project 13 that has been needed for a long time. I bought myself a brand spanking new Logitech G9 wired mouse and I aims to paint it to match the theme of the case.

This is by no means a hard mod. I'm sure many of you could do MUCH better. So this is a challenge to you, fellow members of modders-inc. Lets see what you got. I know you can do a simple mod such as modding a mouse and bring your A-game and give us something really special. SO LETS SEE IT!

To get it started I'll post some pics of the "Mod in progress" enjoy!

first of all I had to dismantle the damn thing. Twelve screws in all to get the thing apart and 6+ separate pieces. Taking apart is never the hard part really it's the putting it back together, am I right? :lol: anyhoo, I'll let the pics speak for themselves.

I'll have to add the pics of it together. Those were on another camera. anyhoo, here it is taken apart

bottom and then top below. (sorry blurry, not my camera)

all the pieces laid out

Then I give each of them a light sand and wipe them down with alcohol

Then I give them a coat of metallic grey. This will help the mouse match the keyboard. You need a light background with anodizing paint. It is mostly transparent and the metallic is going to show through the red.

First coat of red. Looks light and orange now. Let me get a few coats on there and it will darken. More pics to come soon.

:mrgreen:

In case some of you were curios. This mouse is going with this mod. Notice how the mouse in this pic shamefully stands out as unmodified. We can't have that now can we. No sir we can't!!

just an idea Sheldog.. Try putting a red filter over the G15's LCD, it should look awesome (not too dark one though!)

Clear Coat

I spy with my little eye.... an MX1000! good call for the mouse.

Looks like a great start!

quick question... isnt anodizing a process for metal? I wouldnt think it would work on plastic (or in a spray can for that matter...)

just an idea Sheldog.. Try putting a red filter over the G15's LCD, it should look awesome (not too dark one though!)
    I tried that before with another LCD and it looked too dark. I prefer it the way it is though but thank you for the input.

You are correct than Anodizing is an actual process for metal. This is just an anodize look paint. You have to paint whatever you are covering with it silver first for it to look right though as the red is very transparent. Here is the paint I am using.

Yesterday I threw a bunch of coats of clear and I am in the process of putting it all back together. This mouse has like a million pieces in it, not to mention that damn fragile ribbon cable. Hopefully it will work when I put it back together. I'll post the finished pics later tonight.

This mouse has like a million pieces in it, not to mention that damn fragile ribbon cable. Hopefully it will work when I put it back together. I'll post the finished pics later tonight.
    Isn't that the way? The better/more complex something is, the harder it is to work on / mod. Laptop mods are rare, and has anyone ever modded an Iphone?

...and has anyone ever modded an Iphone?
    I don't even want to open a SonyEricssons's P1i (my phone) to mod it what about an iPhone... Would be an expensive experience though

To get into the mod you have to remove the feet pads and then begin the long journey of unscrewing it. There are several layers, all with screws to get this thing apart.

Here I am begining to reassemble the mouse. This is the top section. That ribbon coming out of the LED's there has to attach to the base. gah.

Here's that Pesky ribbon cable that hangs out the bottom of the top piece, somehow you have to reconnect that without damage and the is but little room for fingers.

I had forgotten the top two pieces and had to paint them to match. the little one goes under the black tinted lens but I had to paint it just for consistency.

Here are some before pics I hadn't been able to put up earlier. Sorry so dark.

and after

Here in these last few pics you can see the true dark red color. without the flash it shows much better.

[web]http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2134/2398916681_9ab31c2602_b.jpg[/web]

Thank you for reading my worklog. Hope you enjoyed it. If you have any question I'd be happy to answer them. I have more pics so if you want to see something specific just let me know and I'll see if I have it.

That looks really slick, good job. Very factory.

Master Modder

Love that red. Nice job, Thanks for sharing with us. Happy Modding to ya.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information