Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sli...best way?

Master Modder

sli...best way?

ok yea i want to get a sli system again, already have the money but what card to buy...i own the 8800gt ssc editio, runing at

cor clock 650mhz
    memory clock 1900mhz,

now ive looked at a evga 8800gt KO edition which is basicaly the same but with...

core clock 675mhz
    memory clock 1900mhz,

now here is where im stuck can i sli these together? am i going to lose performance?? or gain it? can i use other makes like bfg??? im so stuck on this and want to get sli to play crysis to the max so any input or directions would be much appreciated!

razer

Master Modder

sli...best way?

To run SLI you have to be running the same GPU's, as far as who makes it, that part doesn't matter as long as the GPU is the same. It will run as slow as the slowest unit of the two, so if your not happy with the slow poke then I would get another one to share the link with. If at all possible run your SLI with two of the same cards. Such as 2x8800GTS or 2x9600GTS. I was able to get 2 of the same company as well as the same card so I know that they will work together. Happy Modding to ya.

sli...best way?

You can actually run two differently clocked cards, but put the faster card in the second slot as this will slow it down to the same speed as the first card.

Master Modder

sli...best way?

ok well ive decided im going to get the evga 8800gt KO edition which has just that lil bit of a higher clock then my one, well 25mhz difference if im right will update more on this tomoz hehe

Master Modder

sli...best way?

It should work just fine for you. Have fun with it. Happy Modding to ya.

sli...best way?

just flash your other card with the evga bois. then they'll run at the same speed

sli...best way?

Meh...Just overclock em both!!

Master Modder

sli...best way?

how would i flash it?? ive nevr ever flashed my bios or a vgas before so i have no idea what i would be doing....and the overclock was intended lol :P

sli...best way?

Razer....to flash the GPU Bios you need a bios flash program...I think there are some windows based programs for Nvidia...if not you will need to download the program (DOS) for the bios flash...and the correct bios you will be using...and load it to a floppy...then you will have to boot to that floppy. The program you download should have instructions. Just do a search for "Nvidia 8800 GT flash bios" or similar.

A word of caution !!!!!!! You can render you GPU worthless if not done properly.

I actually screwed up my ATI X1800XT ...it a long story...and found an article online that told me how to fix it and I recovered the Card...but I lucked out that I was able to fix it. Most people would not have been able to recover their card!

If the card you buy will run in SLI with the existing card you should be able to flash it to that bios. The program you use should allow you to back up your bios. I would backup the bios of the card you want to flash and backup the bios on the card you are going to buy...and load that bios of the new card to the old card. ( that will save you from trying to find it online.)

If you want to try this PM and I can help you with it if you would like!

sli...best way?

Yeah, I would overclock one or both of them. It's not that hard and is actually pretty fun. I use Rivatuner, but Nvidia has a utility as well. The cpu overclocking rule of "desktop apps suck" does not transfer into the realm of the vga.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information