Thread: Custom Power Hub?

Custom Power Hub?

Hi,

I've been wondering how I would go about building something I would like to call a "power hub." It would be similar to Ultra Products power distribution strip or Bitspower Power stations, however I want to make it modular in a sense. I would hope to have all of the power connections from the motherboard go to one spot in my case. Then all the hard driver power cables to to go one place. Then all of the cooling related devices would go to another hub. Then the cords from my power supply wouldn't go directly to the hardware but only plug into the appropriate hub. This way If I ever needed to cut the power to some device for testing or whatnot I would only have to remove the power from the hub instead of undoing the connection that lies on the device itself. I also plan to make this hub on the end of my mother board tray so it butts up against another hub. This way I could theoretically turn off the computer and pull the tray out then slide it back in without every undoing any power connections.

Now that I've done my best to explain the concept. I was thinking I could just make custom power cords and figure a way to secure all the ends possibly by moddifying the plastic connectors so that I could clamp them into a place on an aluminum slab but I want to keep this as simple as possible since I'm very new to modding. Any suggestions or references to a product that might help me?

Thanks,
    -mdm08

Wet Sanded

Custom Power Hub?

allelectronics.com go under connectors. Get a few project boxes, learn to solder (you can even pick up a soldering iron kit there) and a bunch of wire for all one shipping price.. voila. Glue one input connector and as many output connectors as you need.. rinse lather repeat.

Disclaimer: This whole idea is bad. Do not attempt. Putting multiple devices onto one cord will put heavy, uneven strain on your power supply. This may lead to burn outs which often take multiple things with them. Also, aluminum + bare wires connected straight to the psu is risky. Stick with the plastic project boxes. They look better too. And changing any wires or connectors on your psu will undoubtedly void your warranty, so just be aware of that.

Overall, I don't think the product is worth it. Unless you have 4+ HDDs to power and so on, but even then you still have to unplug them from the motherboard. If you do decide to try this, be careful.

Custom Power Hub?

I must not have made myself clear enough.

I don't intend to mod the power supply at all or combine any connections into a single wire. Think of it as just making extensions for all the psu cords. The ends of the extensions that are going to connect to the PSU cords would be all together in a "project box" possibly then their other ends will spread out to their respective components.

In the case of the motherboard tray idea I had combine with the suggested project box idea, it would be two project boxes one containing psu cords the other with the "extension" cords with the leads of the male connectors sticking out so that when you slide the motherboard tray in, the connections would be lined up and slide right into the opposing female connectors.

I'll probably post later with a picture of my idea in case anyone is still confused.

-mdm08

Custom Power Hub?

I think that I know what you're talking about, but a pic would still be nice. allelectronics.com is indeed a good place to start.

Master Modder

Custom Power Hub?

Yes sir a drawing of your idea just might help get the idea across to us. Happy Modding to ya.

Custom Power Hub?

I think he wants to make something like a USB hub http://img339.imageshack.us/img339/5231/rrfwhub6portbigdr4.jpg except for his power supply so he could connect all his fans and such to it instead of the PSU.

Master Modder

Custom Power Hub?

Are you saying a modular power supply? That can be done. Happy Modding to ya.

Wet Sanded

Custom Power Hub?

Eh. It's a decent idea then, the way you describe it here, now. It could definitely be worth the work if you're going to be working in a sizable case with many components that you need to work on frequently. When I bought my case, I got one with all of the toolless gadgets and what not. While they're nifty, I don't really use them that much.

But yeah, if that's all you want, it's not hard. Get some matching connectors, put them into a project box (JB Weld/epoxy is your best bet here) and then make an connection for the components.

I.E.
    Fan ---> >[Box]<<-PSU
    Fan 2-->>[Same box]<<-PSU
    Then when you need your cooling circuit off, either pull the right fan, or pull the whole box from the PSU.

In general, this could all be replaced by good wire routing and cable labeling, but this would be a fun project none the less.

A modular PSU could also replace all of this. Just rip everything out of the PSU when it all needs to be out..
    Some conflicts to consider:
    It's hard to find many connectors (male/female IDE cables, Sata 2 cables) so maybe you could gut them from elsewhere. This is why i brought up voiding the warranty. It wouldn't be hard to replace them with different connections. Just know the ramifications.
    Many plugs are on the same cord. I'm not sure what this means, maybe that the shape it makes puts a lot of stress on the connectors in the box.. Who knows. Just be aware of it.

I may seems dismal about this project, but I personally have a knack for seeing problems in designs and trying to work through them. I plan on going to school for something along those lines. Honestly, I think knowing what I just told you could be the most important factor in doing this mod.

Custom Power Hub?

Well the two main issues that you need to look at is the fact that this is going to A) increase the number of connections on the cables, which means more connections that could potentially fail and B) the extended length of the wire is going to affect the overall output to an extent.

Next up, if you do something similar to the Power Bar Ultra has. You have to make sure that your not setting up the connections so that they will want to draw more power than the rail can actually give them. Ex. multiple outputs from one input, put to many outputs on the input and it could cause you an issue down the road. Plus you have to keep in mind that each PSU is not the same. If you want this to be universal for future upgrades, you will have to plan this into the design.

Ultra's design is nice, but doesn't even work correctly with their own products. Ex. I have an M998 case which uses a Ultra Power Bar and I have an Ultra X3 600 and X3 1000 PSU, neither of which will work 100% with the Ultra Power Bar due to connector issues.

Thread Information