Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ultra Microfly Case Mod: Video Update

Ultra Microfly Case Mod: Video Update

I'm modding the Ultra Microfly cube with a Simpsons theme. I'm being joined on this project by my friend, Brad Copeland. Brad was my N+ certification teacher in 2003. Brads a huge fan of "The Simpsons" and never modded a case and thought it would be fun. So now I'm Brad's Teacher :dremel:

My plan is to replace the front 80mm intake shown here with 2x 120mm fans

Characterized overkill cooling, perfect for "The Simpsons PC"

The Microfly comes with a factory 120mm exhaust fan. I'm going to punch out the perforated fan grill to improve airflow with a Greenlee knockout punch.

This method for making fan holes is quick and less messy than using a drill with a hole saw attachment. You get a fast and clean cut. Hand filing down jagged edges or burrs isn't neccessary.

Greenlee Knock out Punches
    Greenlee part # 730EBB-120

Last time I inquired, they were around $450 in the states. In addition to the knock out punch, you need a 3/4" socket wrench (estimate $100), and 2" size socket (estimate $35) I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench for good leverage. So estimated purchase price of this professional tool set between $550 - $600

Ultra Microfly Factory Perforated Fan Grill

First I cut out the center of the factory perforated grill to accomondate the shaft of the Greenlee Knock out Punch

The threaded cup portion of the Knock Out Punch goes inside the chassis first, then you thread the shaft into the cup until it's snug against the rear of the chassis. Then you crank the socket wrench as if you were tightening a large bolt until the Knock out Blade cuts through the metal.

Perforated Factory Grill removed quick!

Dupli-color Ford Blue Engine Enamel

The "Marge Simpson" Blue chassis adorned with machined case feet from my case mod store These are 1-3/4" thick and machined on a HAAS lathe and finalized with diamond knurling

Master Modder

intresting always bringing us intresting mods :P

Master Modder

Oh boy, another knock out mod coming into existence by way of the King of Modders. I'm going to watch this one real close. Hell, I just might be able to see it in person. My time is getting short. I'll be on the road to MN in 20 days. Do you think you'll have this done in 20 days? I know that I won't be able to come up right after I get home but it's possible after a couple of weeks. So we'll see how it goes. Happy Modding to ya.

Like the knock out punch, Thats pretty cool. I like the simpsons and your mods so it will be interesting to see what you do with this guy.

@ razer, thanks bro!

@ em3bilko, we're only working on it wed nights, I can see going well into the summer.

@ sheldog, a lot of folks asking me offlist where to buy the Greenlee Knockout Punch, I've pasted their online catlog link and part # below

Greenlee Knock out Punches

http://www.mygreenlee.com/products/Holemaking.PDF

Greenlee part # 730EBB-120

For the casual modding enthusiast, they're real expensive. There are those guys like me who want the right tool for the job no matter what the cost, so I'll share my info.. I know if they occassionally appear on Ebay used for real good prices, under $200.. If you prefer new, last time I looked, the 120mm knockout dye sold for around $450 in the states. In order to use it, you need a 3/4" socket wrench and 2" socket.
    I wouldn't use anything less than 19" long socket wrench so you have good leverage, so estimate your purchase will be the neighborhood of $550 for everything new + shipping.
    I've heard you can also order them from Grainger.

Using Greenlee in this Video

Well, I work at a place with a machine shop so I have all kinds of other tools...but...I might talk to the shop guy and see if we "need" some of those. :wink:

One of those would be nice, because my hole saw takes *forever* to cut through something. However, the price is a bit steep for me, and the benefit/cost thing doesn't work out in my favor.

Got to love anything done up in Ford engine blue!!! Looking good thus far Bill.

Master Modder

Well, then I'll be seeing you on a Wednesday in the near future. I'll be on the road to MN on the 5th of May and won't be looking back. Happy Modding to ya.

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information