Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh dear psu......

Master Modder

oh dear psu......

i think i made my psu go mad a lil......so i got m new KO 8800gt, plugedit all in and yay i can play crysis in sli mode....although i didnt notice ANY difference ok...i cheaked to see that sli was enabled and it was...but then suddenly...my mum walks in and sed about a horrible smell....sure enough my psu was burning up

now this psu is supposed to be able to support a sli system...although im abit lost on this one i have 2x 12 volt rails..(i think) if needed i can upload a lil pic of what the side of my psu says,
    btw the psu is still working fine.....but im worried to put my second card back in as i dont wana spend out more lol....if any more info is needed i can give it

oh dear psu......

what brand and model is it?

oh dear psu......

If your running the same unit that you had in one of your old sigs.. Hiper Type R 580. I would suggest getting a little more headroom.

http://www.slizone.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html looking at the list of recommended PSU's for a pair of GT's you will see that the lowest wattage unit they recommend from Hiper is a 680W unit.

Looking on Hipers site you will see:
    NVIDIA SLIâ„¢ - Ready Certified up to Dual GeForce 7900 GTX or Dual GeForce 7800
    GTX 512 MB.
    I would jump up to a 700 - 750 Watt unit myself.

oh dear psu......

i should be getting a 680watt review sample from hiper soon. i'll keep you posted.

Master Modder

oh dear psu......

ok well, ive looked into getting a new psu already...which i didnt wana do btw!! i like my modual....anyhow...

isnt sli mena increase game performance? i noticed no difference with crysis...and couldnt go high as my screen would jump....and now im back to single again i can run at the same settings with no lag...odd that or is that just cos my psu wasnt powerfull enough?? ok back to bis...

heres what my psu says on the side....

although yea that is a paint drawing lol but its just like that on the side of my psu...now i noticed 2 +12v rails......are these where im ment to plug ma graphic cards into?? cos i didnt lol.....any input would be good and thanks for the info on those psu's tazz

oh dear psu......

Is this the PSU you have?

http://www.eclipsecomputers.com/product.aspx?code=PS-X650M-SI

If so, I would again say to upgrade.

Your system under load would typically hit around 350 - 400 watts at the way. If your using a 80+ cert PSU that would mean you would be outputting roughly 320 or so watts DC from the PSU. The problem I believe your seeing is a lack of power. If that is the PSU, its one that I am not familiar with and would leave me very skeptical from the start. A good name brand 600 watt unit would easily power the system even with some overclocking.

I have run:

XFX 680i LT
    Q6600 @3.2GHz
    2 x 8800 GTS G92 cards
    4GB or memory
    3 250GB hard drives
    5 x 120 fans
    plus about 140 LEDs

all off of a Ultra X3 600 watt PSU and never broke the 400 Watt mark at the wall. Without seeing a better description of the PSU you have and knowing how its laid out internally its hard to speculate how they have it setup. Generally your PCI-E connectors are on their own rail when dealing with a multi-rail PSU. SLI should = a performance increase. The amount of that increase depends on the game of choice among other things. If your starving the cards for power, it could cause you not to see an increase.

oh dear psu......

//Just a little offtopic...

...plus about 140 LEDs...
    140!? And I'm planning on using 20 LEDs to light my whole room up 8O :lol:

//back to topic

Yeah, this post was actually meant for the above.. Sorry, razer, I don't know "that much" about stuff like this so..
    If I don't have anything smart to say I rather stay quiet and just read/listen but....

Yeah... Nevermind....

Nothing to see here, move on....

Master Modder

oh dear psu......

damn, yea that looks like my psu tazz, is there a reason why it cannot power it?? im a lil bit confussed on this one as it has 2 12volt rails....which im sure is what i needed right?? well ive been thinking of upgrading the psu anyhow as this one ENT silent haha, although i prefer ebay for psu's so anyhow what kind of more info do you need?? i have the box and everything for this thing was brand new a few months back

EDIT!!!!!

i just read the side of both the 8800gt boxs!!! they say this....

400 watt power supply with a minumum of 26 AMPS on the 12volt rails!!!

so theres my problem now i just have to find a psu with 26 amps on each rail....anyone got any idea on a cheap one hm?? im on a tight budget right now lol

oh dear psu......

damn, yea that looks like my psu tazz, is there a reason why it cannot power it?? im a lil bit confussed on this one as it has 2 12volt rails....which im sure is what i needed right?? well ive been thinking of upgrading the psu anyhow as this one ENT silent haha, although i prefer ebay for psu's so anyhow what kind of more info do you need?? i have the box and everything for this thing was brand new a few months back

Never heard of the unit and really dont know anything about it, The specs listed on that site leave me wondering enough that I wouldn't even consider it. Just because a manufacture states that their PSU is SLI - Ready or Certified, that doesn't mean that it actually is. There has been several instances where the consumer is miss led.

That unit doesn't state that it is 80+ certified which means it could have very poor efficiency (not saying that it does) when compared to todays units. I will again link you to NVIDIA's SLI listing for power supplies. I would look through that list and see whats available from there. When it comes to power supplies, I try to stick with name brands that I know (specific OEMs as well). Sure there are many more units out there than what NVIDIA has listed there, that will easily handle the dual GT's. I ran dual G92 GTS's off of the Ultra X3 600, and off of the Bgears b-tarantula that I reviewed. Both units are of the same OEM and other than cosmetics and cabling, are basically the same. Right now the Corsair PSU's seem to bee the most common bang for the buck units I see people going for.

I wouldn't be afraid of trying out a Corsair HX620 unit on the setup. But a little more headroom would be nice.

EDIT!!!!!

i just read the side of both the 8800gt boxs!!! they say this....

400 watt power supply with a minumum of 26 AMPS on the 12volt rails!!!

so theres my problem now i just have to find a psu with 26 amps on each rail....anyone got any idea on a cheap one hm?? im on a tight budget right now lol
    Thats incorrect! The statement says 26 Amps on the 12 Volt rails. Thats 26 AMPS TOTAL on the 12V. Not 26Amps per rail.

Master Modder

oh dear psu......

ok, so would that mean seems as my psu has in total, 43 amps on the 12 volts rails, which btw ive now dedicated all to the graphic cards its good enough? ive been looking around at a new psu...found loads but im uncertain what i am looking for ive found a few which seem good, btu i will say i prefer to buy them of ebay as it makes my life easier and there normaly cheaper lol, but anyhow i did have a look at the nvidia site dnt like the way it is set up....to confusin lol so in genral what am i looking for on the 12 volt rails?? how many 1? or 2? or more?? and how much wattage must it have? also the amp usage? this is where i am stuck as i have found loads of psu which range between 14 amps to 25 amps on the 12 volt rails so stuck on what to do haha and also...is there a way they have to be connected up ?? thanks

*EDIT*

also seems as im goign sli....would i have to connect the graphics cards to the 12 volt connector only?? and seems as there is 2 cards would it need to be at least 52amps?? (26 amps X2)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information