Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok i have just been given a tower wit a harddrive wit a real

Ok i have just been given a tower wit a harddrive wit a real

Ok its me again i know i am a pain but i really want to learn to mod but i dont know much i really hope some one can help as i am now on my 3 pc. I have just been givin a old pc its in a old case. It has a os on the hard drive. I want to put it in my other tower the one i just broke it has a athlon 64 dual core 3600, 250 gig hard drive, multiformat dvd-rw, 1 gig ddr2 ram, geforce 6100, could i get the hard drive wit workin hard drive in it and put it in it, then turn it on and it will work? I really want to use all the parts i have put on here coz they are not bad for what i want and the case is like a dream, if i cant can someone please help me sort somethin out please. I need to know everythin even what i need to do it. I hope someone can help so i dont have to keep monein on here.

If you can help could you please give me a step my step guide as i will prob mess it up other wise.

Quit worrying! Nobody's going to make fun of you here. If you remove the 250gig hard drive from the better pc and put in the new hd from the old pc, the os will not transfer. Chances are that the old hd is formatted in fat-32 while the new one is most likely formatted in NTFS, so if you put both hd's in the same pc you'll get random shutdowns and other errors. I know what it's like to know enough to break things but not enough to fix them, if you know what I mean. I would recommend picking up a copy of the A+ certification book. Even if you don't take the test, it's pretty much the most comprehensive and accurate guide to computers out there. I know that the common opinion among computerists is that everything you need is on the internet, but libraries and books are still a great source of knowledge. While many things have been made digital and there are a wealth of guides out there on the internet, the compilation and accuracy offered in print is well worth the money. Also, it might be in your local library, so try there before shelling out moneys. I hope that I've been helpful, and if this doesn't answer your question feel free to clarify or ask for clarification.

Its has a bit but i really want to have a pc set up that works, surly i could make one out of the bits i got?

Can i put some of the bits from the good one into this new one.

Clear Coat

simple answer is yes you can put stuff in. More complete answer is "yes, you can, but it might not work". We are trying to give you recommendations for a way to learn the right answer. Go to the library grab the A+ book, and you will be able to figure most of this out yourself.

Take the hard-drive from the working computer, and hook it up in the "good" computer where the other hard drive was. Turn on the computer. If it works, good job. If it doesnt, then you need to start figuring out which of the possible explanations is causing the problem.

Master Modder

The odds are that all of the parts will work in any computer that they are put into. The software part of it is the part that will cause you problems. So when using multiple harddrives, all harddrives will need to be formatted the same. The FAT32 system was used by the 98/ME type OS's. XP allows for both NTFS and FAT32. So just try and get all harddrives using the same format. The main harddrive should have NTFS and then get it up and running and then add the other harddrive. Then you can have your OS format the second harddrive. Just take your time and don't start worrying about this problem. It's going to be there tomorrow and the day after that so just calm down and we will work with you. It will however take some time due to the different life styles we have going on here, but we will be working with you. Happy Modding to ya.

Master Modder

i have to ask first, does the "old" pc still work?? if it does hook up your new hdd to it and see if you can format it with your new pc, thatw ay you have a nice fresh 250gb hdd to work with....now on the next part what is it your trying to achive? remind me why you want to use the parts from the old pc???

Coz they are really good and the new ones parts are crap there really old.

Master Modder

right ok, so what hdd is it you want to use and in what system, could you tell me,

1. what the system is, aka....what parts are going inside,
    2.what you are trying to do

sorry ive read through this posting so many times but im still a little lost on what you are tryin to do....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information