Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CPU upgrade?

Clear Coat

CPU upgrade?

I currently have a 3700+ single core, w/ 2 gigs of DDR400 on a POS mATX mobo. I think the mobo is the root of my problems, notably: Crash on resume from hibernate, glitchy ethernet, and terrible USB/SATA performance. The box and the paint on the board claim that it is a "RS482-M", but when I tried to upgrade the firmware to newer version that claimed to fix many of the issues I had with the board, the dos bootdisk claimed that the board was in fact NOT an RS482-M. I ended up crossflashing the board to the RS480-M firmware (probably a huge mistake). The problems seemed to stop, but after about a month, they have cropped up again (worse than before).

I was looking at a Fry's ad this weekend, and I spied a E2200 w/ a P45GCT-M (also from ECS, but I am ok with trying them again) for 80 dollars. Right above it was a set of 2x1gb DDR2-800 for 20 (after rebate).

Im about to go off to college, and I am not going to be spending much (if any) money on my computer now or for the next few years. Should I upgrade to the Intel 754 and DDR2, or find a better 939 board (for $50-ish) and get another 2x1gb set of DDR400 (for a total of 4 under Vista64)?

Both options will end up to around 100-120, which is about as much as I can spend now. I do a pretty good bit of Photo editing, and I might be running some engineering programs for my classes on this computer. The programs taxed my brother's gaming laptop (w/ 3800+ and 1.5GB of DDR400) pretty heavily; they burned out his CPU cooler in fact...
    So I am wondering whether the dual core pentium is a step up or down from the 3700+ (in single threaded applications) and whether 4GB of DDR is better than 2GB of DDR2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Master Modder

CPU upgrade?

use to be a big amd fan but well...intel has won me over so thats my choice

Clear Coat

CPU upgrade?

yeah... I am hearing lots of good things about the Core2Duo line, but this is the cheaper Pentium dual core line... plus I am going to be running it off of the cheapest board that exists. Im still on the fence about this one.

CPU upgrade?

What do you intend to do with the PC? Home work, little bit of media playing and very little if any game playing?

Clear Coat

CPU upgrade?

I intend to play a bit of CS1.6/source and DoD... I have no problems on my 3700+ (besides the unrelated crashing issue) play music, typing, and possibly some processor heavy modeling stuff... unfortunately, my wallet won't support more CPU, so those are the two options.

CPU upgrade?

nforce4 motherboard

CPU upgrade?

I would go for a socket AM2 cpu and board, as AMD are concerntrating on the AM2 socket more nowadays and this would let you upgrade for a few years.

Have fun

Clear Coat

CPU upgrade?

only problem is getting a decent AM2 mobo + CPU for under 100 bucks.

CPU upgrade?

Ahh. Sorry ops:

CPU upgrade?

I would go for the intel. Unless you're in a hurry or care about warranties, I would think about ebay for getting your stuff as it can be a lot cheaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information