Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Nearly World Famous Seizure

Nearly World Famous Seizure

For the complete worklog check out: http://picasaweb.google.com/woundedbadgers/Siezure

The thought was a desk custom made for gaming. It had to look like a piece of mission oak furniture at the same time support ‘the new’.

To start, my wife’s design parameters dictated that it needed ‘blend in’ when it was off. Turns out that was a tall order for anything 8 foot cubed. What I ended up with was big, very big. Big enough for three 30” LCD monitors.

There was space for everything but the problem was it was too spread out. I wanted the DVD-RW under the center monitor. As the cords go, that is a good 6 feet from where the computer case could be… Then it hit. Dump the computer case all together.

The top was made entirely out of oak. The base started with a ¼” pegboard and a handful of LEDs. The two 2’ square panels consumed 1,012 LEDs, a dozen sticks of hot glue, 100’ of Cat-5 cable, and who knows how much solder. I hid them behind a piece of ¼’ stained glass I got from a local glass shop.

I put a USB hub on the right when it could easily connect to the keyboard and mouse (I am right handed).

All things said, as I built the top I integrated a motherboard box into the design. Taking it one step further, I built the box with cooling in mind.

When building in oak, 120mm (5”) is relatively small amount of space in the grand scheme of things. This made it real easy to place 120mm fans. Three fans when it was all said. There are a lot of fan filters available but when using three 120mm fans, a household furnace filter seemed most appropriate. The air box and filter now take up a large part of the desk’s lower left half.

In the mother board box there are 14 sets of blue and white LED’s, each flashing briefly every few seconds. Behind the tinted glass they really make a lightshow. The desk has hidden lighting all over the desk using LED’s encased in oak trim. All controls are accessed through 16 LED tipped low voltage switches to control, well, just about everything. By doing it this way I could control everything including the fridge. Yes, this thing has a small 6 can fridge on the lower right side. Because of all this 12 v activity and over 1,200 LED’s I thought it would be responsible to monitor the 12v subsystem hence the three meters on the right hand side. They keep an eye on the key voltages and amperages.

the Major component list includes three 22” Acer LCD displays, three Asus ATI 3850 graphics cards, 4gb DDR2 1033mhz RAM, Maxtor 500Gb hard drive (although I seriously considered buying an additional 16GB SSD to improve the shock and aw performance.

Also included was the Logitech z-5500 with optical connectivity which was linked to an Asus M3A32MVP Deluxe motherboard via a 10’ optical cable and of course the Phenom 9850 CPU and a copy of windows Vista 64bit to complete the order. The components almost don’t really matter at this point. They can be upgraded anytime. I’m already watching the prices on the 30” HP monitors… tomorrow always brings better goodies.

Now that the machine is nearly complete, other ideas to use the extra space are coming up. An oxygen tank for better gaming performance. A toilet instead of a chair for increased on game activity… ok maybe going too far . . . .but the cup holder will be installed this weekend. Another thought is a proximity warning system to let you know if anyone is sneaking up on you while you are playing a heated game of Crysis; which is outstanding on three screens by the way.

So, here it is, my best shot at creating an environment that optimizes the experience of the game. Obsessive compulsive? I hope so. Anyway, it’s a long way from Pong and PacMan and my little Commodore64.
    [img]

Clear Coat

*faint* sweet rig... can you RGB blend the LEDs on the front panels, or are those fixed color?

*faint* sweet rig... can you RGB blend the LEDs on the front panels, or are those fixed color?
    The are single color. I'd like to make a future rig with duel color LED's now that the wiring is more or less figured out. Check out the video To see them in operation.

Clear Coat

sweet rig... just as a dream thing, you could try and find a Graphical display controller, and make those all RGB leds. Then you could display random things.... gotta be ridiculously bored to do all the wiring though...

OMG....SWEET!!!

Master Modder

wow!!! that has to be mega cool to game on.....how long you been building it for??? ive gotta say you have gotta get us some more pics

wow!!! that has to be mega cool to game on.....how long you been building it for??? ive gotta say you have gotta get us some more pics
    More pics coming soon. I worked on it all winter. I am not an artist but have long admired the detailed rigs out there. this is my contribution to a playing field of folks with artistic talent way beyond mine. At the same time three monitors make it a highly addictive machine for games like Crysis. With the fridge you can game for hours (depending on bladder size). Hypothetically, wearing a good quality pair of 'depends' there would be no reason to leave it for days on end...Don't know if I will ever go that far.

sweet rig... just as a dream thing, you could try and find a Graphical display controller, and make those all RGB leds. Then you could display random things.... gotta be ridiculously bored to do all the wiring though...
    After I was nearly done building I found a really cool device: http://www.codemercs.com/IOWarriorE.html

It will interface directly between a USB port and LED light arrays. My next build will likely include this device. Really exciting things could come from that. Having said that, I've had a lot of fun trying different capacitor/resistor combinations to get the lights to flash in the desired way.
    As for the wiring, my wife helped put the LED's in, hot glue, and solder. We pretty much burned our fingertips off with the hot glue but it was a great way to hold the LED's and the wiring to the board.

Clear Coat

Helping hands are always a good addition to any project.

Helping hands are always a good addition to any project.
    Don't know if they will be there for the next one. Hot glue, as it turns out, is hard on a marriage.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information