Thread: Picture Frame LCD Mod

Picture Frame LCD Mod

Hello folks.

Apparently this is quite a common mod, I shouldn't be surprised. Mine might be slightly problematic.

I recently bought a digital picture frame with complete intent on taking it apart and rigging it to my server computer (so I don't have to keep connecting a huge ass CRT to it :P) and I've gotten the thing disassembled, but figuring out what all the components do, well, thats tricky.

I read through http://www.modders-inc.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2418 and that looked promising.

I'll post some pictures so you can see what I'm working with here.

Sorry about the quality. My camera is not very high rez.

Basically, I think I can figure out the power supply part. The problem I am having is finding some sort of connector to go from the little ribbon cable thing (which, if nothing else I'd love to know what the proper name for it is) to some sorta S-Video, or VGA type connector to get it to my graphics card.

Is there *any* hope for me?

Thanks guys!

Wet Sanded

Picture Frame LCD Mod

Do you have any info on the digi frame you bought? A make and model would help quite a bit.
    Also, the picture quality is not because of low resolution, but because of settings. See if there is a "nature mode". My GE Camera just has a picture of a flower. My old aiptek had a slider directly attached to the aperture. Also, half shutter push focuses the camera. Make sure the center of the photo is right on the thing you want to focus on (here: primarily the connectors).
    Good photography is about knowing your camera.

Clear Coat

Picture Frame LCD Mod

Yeah... unless your picture frame has a video input (or solder points for such) on the board, you are pretty much screwed. the LCD controllers (what that ribbon cable is connected to) are proprietary, and usually unique, meaning there really isnt a way to hack one up to a video cable.

Picture Frame LCD Mod

Do you have any info on the digi frame you bought? A make and model would help quite a bit.
    Also, the picture quality is not because of low resolution, but because of settings. See if there is a "nature mode". My GE Camera just has a picture of a flower. My old aiptek had a slider directly attached to the aperture. Also, half shutter push focuses the camera. Make sure the center of the photo is right on the thing you want to focus on (here: primarily the connectors).
    Good photography is about knowing your camera.
    Damn...just learned something about you SplitLip.

He is correct as make , model and serial number may help some one here find the answers you are looking for. The one thing I have noticed is that they LOVE to help others, as the favors is always returned.

Welcome to Modders-Inc!

Picture Frame LCD Mod

Hey Guys!

Thanks for the responses.

(Just a quick side note, I took the pictures with a built in camera on my laptop :P) I plan on getting a digital Camera though, PM me if you have any suggestions. I want a small, thin, but high megapixel count. (Yea, so does everyone else :P)

Ok, so the make and model of the LCD picture frame is:
    VPF560QE-SLV 5.6" Digital Picture Frame.

The manufacturer is V7. I'll post a picture of the box for completeness.

Thanks for any and all help

Picture Frame LCD Mod

Wow if Volte can get this to work it would be incredible. Another great innovation too!

Would easily save about $200+ dollars from the car type that I've seen used.

Picture Frame LCD Mod

I had a similar idea using a 9 1/2" screen from an old Compaq LTE Elite 4/40C laptop I found at the local computer dump, yeah we have one here .
    Have to use care and caution though as it's state owned and cameras all over the place. I've gotten a couple keyboards and a working monitor but most of the systems are way way old. They do get some incredibly huge towers (servers) sometimes though.

Very good and*informative*exchange*..*Thank you!

Thread Information