Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mods by Stealth

Mods by Stealth

So I am finishing up my 3rd, and starting my 4th mod, so i figured that I perhaps am officially a modder, and decided that it was finally time to join a community. So I chose Modder-inc, and I thought I would first share my completed cases with you all in case you some of you haven't seen them yet.

First, the winner of the May Modshop tournament, The Desk!!!

The Desk was my first computer case build. On one hand I wanted to have a really cool computer like some that I had seen with lights, Plexiglas windows, and that sort of thing. On the other hand I realized that my current computer sat on the floor by my table, usually acting as an ottoman, and was covered with scrapes and scuffs. I could set the case on my desk, but then with my keyboard and monitors there would be no room for anything else. My idea was to build a desk from scratch that would also act as the computer case. The CPU would sit under a thick piece of Plexiglas. I would substitute the monitor stands with custom arms that extended from the very back of the desk, freeing up even more space. It would even have a large drawer like any other desk. This is my solution to a problem.

In addition to the internal Hard drive The desk features a special mount with a separate, detachable hard drive cluster called “The Tower!!!” This was done to allow the hard disks to be shut off individually and only used when needed. Across 5 disks (with room for 1 more) this gives The Desk an extra 1.9 Terabytes, making the grand total 3.62TB.

The Coffee Table is my second case mod. Following the success of my first mod, The Desk, I decided to continue bringing further functionality to my computers then what the internal components could provide. The idea for this coffee table mod came to me as I was sitting on my couch, playing a competitive game of Halo with my roommate. In a moment of intensity I accidentally knocked over my drink that I had set carelessly on the rug. I decided it was indeed time to get a coffee table. It then came to me that this piece of furniture could also function to tie my living room into my computer network. A coffee table that would act as a file server, media control for my living room TV, and light entertainment for guests.

siteComputerPics/Coffeetablesocket.jpg" alt="" />

For this project I wanted to keep the cost down as low as possible seeing as it did not have to be a high performance computer. A majority of the components were second hand from my first mod "The Desk!!!" after an upgrade. To start out I grabbed an old computer case and cut out just what I needed to mount the motherboard.

I pulled this old Quantum 4gb 5 inch hard drive out of an old HP, and decided I would try to do a hard drive window mod with it and work it into the case.

I then went to our local steel yard and grabbed some tubing and sheet metal. I then put together the base of the machine that would hold most of the components as well as support the surface.

You can see the difference in size between the original case and the new one. I really wanted to make the entire system as small as possible.

I then created the frame to hold an old 14inch LCD I had, also an extra from an upgrade. This was a little bit of a challenge because when completed the screen would have to be able to slip in and out, as well as keep it at an angle where it can be seen clearly from a sitting position.

The two parts then got welded together and you can see the final form take shape.

I wanted to keep the system as clean as possible since it would sit in the middle of the room, as opposed to against a wall. I wired in the LCD and even an extra AC plug into the power supply.

You can see how tight everything is in there below. I added a couple extra fans to the system after an upgrade. I also decided to take out the dvd-r drive because I never used it, and replaced it with a fan controller. The Quantum hard drive worked for a couple weeks, but eventually stopped working. You can still see it running though.

Mods by Stealth

Stealth, that is a great presentation. love the worklog. Welcome to the community.

Mods by Stealth

First off. Congrats to you on your win!

Both of your Mods are fantastic. Great utilitarian concepts. Very sleek and clean as well. Welcome to MI. Hope you like it here.

Salem, Oregon, United States

Mods by Stealth

Wow . . .I love it! You REALLY should integrate watercooling and some uber wire management like maybe using electrical conduit that you polish up real shiney! You have some killer concepts there!

Master Modder

Mods by Stealth

damn you are defo good at what you do, welcome again

Mods by Stealth

Great Work log. Very glad you are with us. You really spent some time on that Desk!!! Did you struggle to fab mounts for all the hardware?

Mods by Stealth

Absolutely impressive. I'd happily trade my ex-wife for that any day.

oops did I say that out loud?

Mods by Stealth

Absolutely impressive. I'd happily trade my ex-wife for that any day.

oops did I say that out loud?
    Not only out loud but permanently inscribed in neat little one's and zero's for the world to see.

Mods by Stealth

He he he he

Mods by Stealth

I really really like that open hard drive. Does it still operate? Do you just have it hooked to power or is there more needed to make it move?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information