Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Noticing the obvious perhaps.....

Noticing the obvious perhaps.....

Far be it from me to admit anything of breakthrough proportions but one thing I've noticed while being here on M-I and have also noticed over the last 26 years of computing. My statement (sorry if long-winded).

I first got involved with computers back in "82" or "83" (yes the 1900's) when the very first batch of Commodore Vic 20's were released on east coast U.S.
    Refusing to give in much, it took me another 2 years to move up to the already established by then, Commodore 64.

What's happened since then? Lots and lots, but lately I've noticed that the groundbreaking hardware and things we saw coming out at slow speeds (at first) and then later at breakneck speeds seemed to have dried up. My opinion is that the innovations of physical proportions have semi been met at this point now.
    The next innovations of course would be the truly groundbreaking ones, albeit less fancy to the average person. The technological breakthroughs that will allow us to possibly get the average computer to display truly 3 dimensional graphics or the computer that is inside of a pen or what not.
    The innovations coming from the corporate world have in a sense been depleted for the time being when compared to what the market will bare with the average persons finances of today and economic climate currently.

That is in essence what I see as the downside (not necessarily bad news per say).

The upside? Modders and their persistence to think and build outside the proverbial box (pun intended)!!!

Instead of the same boring and drab looking "boxes" we've been accustomed to, modders are creating, building and even developing the newest innovations in computer technology.
    This is by no means a small feat either. It took the auto industry 40 years to develop disc brakes. In less than 30 years PC's are now being built and customized in ways no one in the early 80's would have ever dreamed possible.

What had been appearing as a dead or dried up market or technology has (through all your efforts) been given a new life and a completely new meaning. It is no longer impossible for the average non-geek (and I use that word proudly and with reverence) to not be able to work on their computer given a little time and dedication into learning at least something about it.
    The original mystery about computing is slowly giving way in some aspects of todays society to the more tech friendly appliances we have now such as incredible cell phones and MP3 and video players.

What I see now as the kick in the butt to the computer industry is something that is evolutionary necessary for it's survival. Making Personal Computers truly "personal" instead of the cookie cutter boxes at least I'd become accustomed to seeing.

Everyone on this forum and any other Mod forums who have even written a word or any idea or built a system that breaks the barriers (and I've seen some truly incredible and awesome work on here) your to be applauded by me at least. Because you're all truly responsible for bringing life back into what for a while at least appeared to be a doomed and honestly dying market. My hats off to everyone here especially and what you might take for granted sometimes, I have recognized.

My humble thanks for all your work.

Very well spoken!

Mods today, what will tomorrow bring us? What a great time to be alive...

Very well spoken!
    I second that!

May I use you statement somewhere in the main part of the site? I think I would like to add it in to the Articles section.

Clear Coat

*nominates sharkbyte for official speech maker*

If anything of mine is useful please feel free to use as you see fit. If it helps or promotes the website in anyway then by all means, it's yours.

What I said though comes from the heart. The work you all do on here is taking down the standard barriers that have kept this industry in a doldrum for at least the last 15 years that I've noticed. You've truly breathed a fresh breath of air into a once stagnated industry and your to be commended for it.

Master Modder

cool but i think its down to the fact we have some of the best modders visting the site...true modders at heart we are

Your words bring me inspiration sh4rkbyt3 and I thank you for that as after making a computer mod you sit there and enjoy it for a while and then wonder if it is worth doing it again. Now I feel that all the effort was worth it and almost feel compelled to do I again as the passion is renued.

vashant

I'm glad they could inspire you. The work you all do on here is quite amazing. It's sites like this and people like you who have helped me from becoming another statistical high school drop out to now want to go to college to learn more about computers.
    The inspiration works both ways, and while my words pale in comparison to the completed and ongoing work on here, I thought it was both timely and very appropriate to acknowledge "everyones" accomplishments that outside the community may sometimes be temporarily lost.
    At least to me you guys are all geniuses because you push the envelope...truly.

Master Modder

wow....im not a geniuses thats fro sure lol others might be but im not for sure...a school drop out belive it or not....but im getting there its people like you...who admir mine (plus others) that does help keep us going...and modding even more, when you build a rig...and get struck down and told how rubbish it is, your discourged and then probs wont wana post your "next" rig on the net...but if you come here M-I well you dont have to worry bout that as for sure you will get praised even if it is something as simple as learning how to wire a LED up...which in turn, will make you wana do it even more and more.....you get my drift right?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information