Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Custom case building

Custom case building

What do people usually build custom cases out of? I was thinking about using some thick wood due to it being very easily cut and stuff but, I was just wondering if there was a better way to do this?

(The reason I am building a custom case is because no one makes cases that I am needing. It is a long rectangle. It is modeled after the digg case if anyone has seen that one.)

Master Modder

Custom case building

would use alu, or some other kind of metal...wood works, but i duno how you would use it.....

Custom case building

would use alu, or some other kind of metal...wood works, but i duno how you would use it.....
    So, wood is hard to make a case with?

Custom case building

Wood is good an looks nice. Just keeps in the heat so you have to think about proper air flow. Most people usually make cases out of Aluminum or Acrylic. or a mix of both.

I have seen a lot of good wooden cases recently though.

Custom case building

The good thing about modding it that you can make a case out of just about anything. As Sheldog23 stated just keep air flow and heat in mind. Let us know what you come up with and post it in our worklog section :-)

Custom case building

Seizure is most all wood construction and if you are familiar with wood working, wood is a good choice. There are two problems I ran into. 1. was grounding. everything should have a ground strap if you want a stable system. 2. precision. wood grain (except MDF) has a composition that makes drills walk. Of the 9 holes in my motherboard, I could only get six standoffs to line up because the drill walked along the grain. Luckily they were the "right" six. For things like CD drives, I mounted them to 1/8" acrylic sheets which laid in a wood groove. This worked pretty well.

Custom case building

As you can see from the rig I built in my signature I chose wood. I don't know much about the grounding aspect such as what 1500w said but as for the mb standoffs I had no problem as I just marked where the standoffs should be on the wood and drilled the holes out wider than they needed to be in the wood and screwed the standoffs onto the motherboard and filled the drilled holes with glue and set the mb in place and let it dry over night. This way the standoffs would be perfectly placed for your mb without worring about the holes being off from the drill walking a bit.

Vashant

Custom case building

I will be using MDF board. It is 3/4in thick too, I figured that it would have to be fairly thick to make a nice case.

Does anyone know where I can get motherboard mounts and all the other mounts needed? I can't seem to find one. Perhaps I can try ripping one out of my current case? I will post the design draft soon after I am done adding some stuff to it.

Custom case building

As for the mb mounts/standoffs I got them here:

http://www.directron.com/basescrew.html

These are the ones that I drilled out the hole for and used. My mb has be unscrewed countless time and removed and I have had no problem with them.

Vashant

Custom case building

...as for the mb standoffs I had no problem as I just marked where the standoffs should be on the wood and drilled the holes out wider than they needed to be in the wood and screwed the standoffs onto the motherboard and filled the drilled holes with glue and set the mb in place and let it dry over night. This way the standoffs would be perfectly placed for your mb without worring about the holes being off from the drill walking a bit.

Vashant
    That is brilliant. Next time my MB is off, that is exactly what I am going to do. Did you use a 2 part epoxy or something else? BTW, did you run grounding wires to all your components? I was understanding that was a "must do" kind of thing. What is your experiance?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information