Thread: Amps -- how many and where?

Clear Coat

Amps -- how many and where?

I have an interesting side project I have started. My buddy gave my a 15" lcd, and I stripped it down, thinking to make a kickass window mod with it, (remove the back light and have the lcd be able to change colors/patters over the inside of the case), but I couldn't figure out a few of the circuit board placements, so I am going a little more simple. I just want to chuck the the whole screen, backlight and all into the side panel of my secondary computer.

The LCD has a 12 volt 3.5 amp power brick, and I would like to mod the sucker completely into the case, preferably sucking that 3.5A off the main power supply, instead of having another power cord in the back.

I currently have 300ish watt power supply that can only give 8A over the 12v rail. I have a 939 A64 3700+, 2x1GB of DDR400, 2 hard drives, and 4 80mm fans (including the CPU cooler). I would be adding a PCI video card (probably an FX5200) to drive the LCD screen. Do you think I have enough power left over to power the backlights, or should I get a more powerful power supply?

Master Modder

id get a bigger psu just to be safe....have you used a psu caculator??

Clear Coat

The ones i found only had wattage... i think i found an amp one, i will see what it says.

Dang... it looks like I need about 10.5 amps or so.... looks like im just using the original power brick, I don't have anything more powerful I can throw in for free.

Of course I had to fry the 300watt 12amp supply....

3.5 amps seems a bit excessive for a 15" LCD. Can you hook up an ammeter and see how much it "really" draws? I my guess is its considerably less then 3.5 amps. Seizure has a fridge that draws less than that

same as 1500w..

the LCD can not need that much power.. especially if you took the backlight out!

I'd say 0,5 to 1A max... so the PSU should be enough

I'm running a 15" LCD with touchscreen, 1 80GB HDD, no idea with video card, the CPU is Athlon 1600+, even less idea what motherboard and the PSU is a little warm after around 14 days online 24/7 (after that time I have to turn it off for a few mins so it'll even work normally hehe, Windows start lagging... alot)

and the PSU is... around 200W

Clear Coat

1500w -- I am working on it, but the backlights are staying in. I need to whip out my multimeter and figure out the real draw. The 3.5 Amps was just what the stock power brick is rated to put out.

Dex -- the touchscreen is running off the 200w power supply?

Clear Coat

I just checked, and the 12v gets split into 2 circuits... 1 draws about 1.9 amps, and the other draws about .4.

What kinda stuff would happen if I pulled more amps out of the PSU then the 8.0 it is rated to supply?

Thread Information