Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: getting better at modding?

Master Modder

getting better at modding?

some talk.....anyone noticed that you do get better the more you case mod? for instance, you can make a better hole...

i couldnt do that with pipeline! so i was wondering, anyone else had the same kinda thing happen to them?? abit of a random one as i know people say, the more you do something the better you get at it, but didnt really think that would apply to a modder, as far as i was concerned....your as good as you are end of story...guess i was wrong

When I started I thought that I was as good as I was going to get, and I was a bit worried, as I wasn't that good. It turns out that modding is more skill than talent, and most people can do most things with patience and practice. I'm definitely better than I was a year ago, that's for sure.

Master Modder

You bet, I've learn a boat load since I started. Your right about the hole cutting, mine are better now. lol Happy Modding to ya.

hehe, have you seen the first time i used a jigsaw in a mod? (gamedrift mod)

yes, im slowly improving as well

I am curious as to how bad my skills will be when it comes to working with metal on a standard case. I built my first mod from scratch out of wood, but wood is much easier and more forgiving than metal.

I only hope my next mod is not a disaster as at this point I am done with wood and want to go to standard metal cases to mod.

I just want to give 2 thumbs up to everyone here in this modding community as it not only takes creativeness, but also a certain amount of skill when modding cases which not everyone has. So I only hope everyone here gives themselves the credit they deserve and never doubts themselves as you are all very talented and gifted people.

Hey no worries about how it turns out, you know why? Even if it turns out to be a dud you learned some very valuable lessons and techniques. :-)

Just remember this...Thomas Edison was once asked about all his failures and his response was "I have not failed. I have found 10,000 ways that would not work."

Read it, learn it, live it.

Master Modder

a/f = so right lol

I am curious as to how bad my skills will be when it comes to working with metal on a standard case. I built my first mod from scratch out of wood, but wood is much easier and more forgiving than metal.

I only hope my next mod is not a disaster as at this point I am done with wood and want to go to standard metal cases to mod.

I just want to give 2 thumbs up to everyone here in this modding community as it not only takes creativeness, but also a certain amount of skill when modding cases which not everyone has. So I only hope everyone here gives themselves the credit they deserve and never doubts themselves as you are all very talented and gifted people.
    in case you havent already started, I'll give you one very important advice for working with metal opposed to wood

SLOW DOWN
    seems basic but sometimes those are the things we forget, and then things go wrong.

Knowing how fast to do things (getting use to one's tools) is very important, and something 99% of us learn the hard way

Master Modder

yep i lernt the hard way.....my cuts and sandin skills were pretty bad on my first few mods, now though well i fink i cant do a damn straight line but only because i spend a good few hours perfecting it and of course SLOWLY filin....

Clear Coat

Yeah... the slow down bit makes a huge difference. I made some of the best cuts in my project at the very beginning, going very slow. Then I tried to go faster, and it just turned out very sloppy with ridiculous amounts of filing and squeezing, for a substandard result. Slowing down makes it take longer, but you are much more likely to be happy with what you end up with.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information