Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

Clear Coat

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

I think this was covered once before, but I figured I would ask it again.

Whats the best way to a big sheet of plexi into a smaller sheet of plexi, and then the take the smaller sheet of plexi and cut a hole in it.

I figured taping it up and using the jigsaw would work for part 1, unless I set up the circular saw in table configuration... I don't have a great selection of blades, but ideally, which wood blades would be the best for either of these setups?

And for the second part, would a dremel be the best option? I think it would work, but it would take a while. The only other option (that I know of) would be to drill a hole and drop a jigsaw blade through it.

I have 1/4 inch acrylic... or some kind of clear plastic... (my mom got it, and she doesn't remember what kind it was)

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

A circular saw in table configuration will give you the straightest cuts, but make sure that you have the blade set just above the level of the plexi. The more teeth the better, so plywood or finish blades would work. Using a dremel would work, but it would melt the plexi instead of cutting it, which would leave big ugly burrs. These can be sanded off, but it's just more work. Also, the angle can be a challenge unless you have an extender thingy. I think that the jigsaw would be your best bet so long as you're careful.

Primered

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

Whats the best way to a big sheet of plexi into a smaller sheet of plexi, and then the take the smaller sheet of plexi and cut a hole in it.
    The best way is to use a laser cutter. You can simply use Corel Draw to draw your cut shapes and color-code the lines for depth. Comes out perfect everytime just about.

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

I agree with DarthBeavis, but I guess that's not the cheapest way.. hehe

Master Modder

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

see i use a straight edge put my stanly nife to the plexi....gives me the perfect straight line...but curves well i just us a jigsaw....aka jiggy

Clear Coat

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

I should have specified BEST = anything I have in my garage/can get for less than 10 bucks at the hardware store.

Razer Do you think the score and snap method is better than the jigsaw for a piece of 1/4 inch stuff? I'm worried it might be a bit too thick to work properly. (I had some bad experiences with real glass this thick)

Master Modder

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

yea, just score more times, i think it works the best as you get a perfect line....thats a personal preference though, it all depends how straight you can score it, i learnt it from someone here...i belive it could of been af...

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

I've had bad experience and good experience scoring 1/4", but mostly bad. It takes a lot of pressure to get it to go deep enough, and at least for me that leads to slipping/cutting/ruining. Also, if you're not careful when either scoring or breaking, it can take a chunk off of one of the sides during the snap. It could be that I'm not doing it right, but the score/break method does not work for me.

Primered

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

I like using a scroll saw when I DIY . . .

Cutting Plexi/Acrylic

Tip on using an xacto knife to score plastic sheet ....

Hold the knife vertical to the surface and use the blade backwards to scribe your lines, not to "cut" them .. use a sharp tipped, straight sided blade ....

| pulled this direction ->

using it this way it will cut quickly, you will get long curls and it will be easy to steer to follow even a curved line

I used it to cut out 1/8 " plexi windows and cut curves too (curves require deeper cuts) and it worked great

I know, not 1/4" but hope this helps others

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information