Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: belkin something.....

Master Modder

belkin something.....

yea any idea guys?? i got it from a closed down office near my work...its switchs on but thats about it i dont know what it is, or what it does, i think its some kinda backup battery, it has one inside of it, here....

ye sits in the back there.....

so any ideas??

belkin something.....

Does it have any model numbers/stickers on it? Computer equipment is pretty well documented online. From the looks of it it's a UPS.

belkin something.....

agrees...it is a UPS

Master Modder

belkin something.....

wots a ups?? lol sorry....not sure what one is haha would it be usfull to me?

Clear Coat

belkin something.....

Un-Interruptable Power Supply -- Think a surge protector on steroids. It filters your power, keeps select devices working and safe during brown/gray outs, and can keep your computer running for an extra piece of time (5minutes or less for small/medium ones -- but theoretically hours from the massive ones). You probably have to (or will have to in the near future) replace the battery, which can be pretty expensive 15-20 (US) dollars a pop per 6v 10AmpHour battery. That looks like it might take 3-4 of the batteries.

Might be able to keep your gaming PC and Monitor up for 10-15 minutes in the event of a complete power failure (if I am judging the capacity correctly, and assuming new/good condition batteries.) Check to see if it has a computer connection on the back (probably 9 pin serial, but possibly USB), you can set that up through windows/manufacturer software to shut down your computer in a nice orderly fashion when a power problem happens, saving the hardware a hard shutdown, and saving any data you had.

Master Modder

belkin something.....

sweet, thanks for the in-depth info on that, i have anouther one of these got 2 anyhow might be an idea for me to use it...its damn heavy, has a single battery in it, and a serial on the back, when i get some time i will look into the thing abit more,

belkin something.....

you can guess they threw it out because the battery died, but a company such as belkin should have replacements availible.

Two eh? I think you should (carefully!) mod one

Master Modder

belkin something.....

take note of the first post....it works the office closed lol i use to got here like a year ago...its all to do with this place that helps you get a job...was ashame they closed...but anyway i have thought about modding one...but what on earth could you do with one? lol its so.....plain

belkin something.....

I know that in my case (chassis that is :P) I'm gonna build in the UPS
    Altho, the case might gte a few pounds more (kilos, whatever xP) as the lead-acid batteries are heavy but still
    No power out will be able to make me turn off my PC
    If the internal battery will discharge, it'll switch to external battery, hopefully I'll be able to manage that somehow :P

That was my plan for quite awhile now.. But the case will be too heavy for LAN-parties so the UPS's internal battery will be removable

belkin something.....

Hi Razer, all cases are plain,... that's why we mod them.

What are the dimensions? width, heigth, depth?

By the way, Dex just mentioned this, I have heard this before but have no idea what it means, what is a lan-party?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information