Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions for those who have had mod sponsors.

Questions for those who have had mod sponsors.

Well, I think it's time I finally ask the question. I have a mod that is near complete that I was hoping to get some sort of sponsorship for. And it's not simply a "I want to load my machine up with cool stuff" desire, but all of my mods have been created with a particular function in mind, this upcoming one no exception, and I simply don't think it appropriate to present it without having a certain amount of power and specific pieces of hardware required for its function.

Enough about my project in particular, my question is; can some of the many modders here who have experience in mod sponsorship offer any information about what it entails, and possibly any advice? Most post made asking the question are primarily made by n00bs, and given a swift, "send emails, don't ask for much, you should do it for fun, blah blah." What I would like to hear is, how did you land your first sponsorship deal? What were the conditions? I think Americanfreak mentions in an earlier post he didn't even get to keep the stuff?

And for my own benefit in particular, how do you think I should approach this? I've sent emails with a carefully constructed proposals to various companies but no one seems to respond. Obviously I do this for fun and if I have to I would fill it with "minimum requirement" stuff, but I'm really excited about my latest case, and think it deserves more. Anyway, thanks for any advice.

can some of the many modders here who have experience in mod sponsorship offer any information about what it entails, and possibly any advice? Most post made asking the question are primarily made by n00bs, and given a swift, "send emails, don't ask for much, you should do it for fun, blah blah." What I would like to hear is, how did you land your first sponsorship deal? What were the conditions? I think Americanfreak mentions in an earlier post he didn't even get to keep the stuff?

And for my own benefit in particular, how do you think I should approach this? I've sent emails with a carefully constructed proposals to various companies but no one seems to respond. Obviously I do this for fun and if I have to I would fill it with "minimum requirement" stuff, but I'm really excited about my latest case, and think it deserves more. Anyway, thanks for any advice.
    I dont think there are to many of us around here that have had sponsors on their builds. The reason you see a simple reply of "send emails, and don't ask for much" is because that's what it is going to take to get the first sponsor under your belt. I think each one of us goes about getting our sponsors in different ways.

The Zotac, Cooler Master, Sapphire mods that you see mentioned here and there on the site really do not fall into that category if you ask me. Those where commissioned builds, which meant that those companies had to provide product for them and the companies received the mods when completed.

My Meshie and Ultra Sweet mods where both sponsored builds, both of which took the initial email that consisted of me describing what I was doing and how I could showcase the products I was interested in. My current mod is no different which I pretty much stated in the thread.

I am sure that most of you figured out by now who my main sponsor is on the mod ... I actually thought of showcasing some BFG product while doing this makeover if you will. So I photochopped a couple of options up like the first image. Then I sent them over to see what they thought of them. I loosely told them what I had planned and what I would want to showcase in the case.
    Getting products sponsored for a build is not something that comes easy if you are not well known in the modding field and can even be challenging if you are. A sponsor is going to want to know what they get out of giving you product. So it all boils down to marketing, you have to market yourself and the mod you are building. You have to be able to show that you can net them something in return.

From your post I assume you're talking about needing / wanting hardware sponsored. Getting hardware sponsored is even harder to do than the basics. Showcasing hardware can be challenging on a mod and in order to make a sponsor happy, the product has to be seen. So trying to get a mobo sponsored for a build that will not showcase the mobo would be a real challenge. The Zotac mod that I did is a bit of an example here, or even a few of Sheldog's Sapphire builds. Those where designed with the purpose of showcasing the supplied products (generally mobo and video). Shels was built from scratch while I had to work with a specific case. For me I actually changed my mind mid-way through the build to give the mobo and video card more exposure. Those examples where also done with the company names or logos used.

How do I do it? Well let's put it this way. If I didn't pick up a few sponsors on my builds, the mods wouldn't have been built. Not having the $ to support the hobby that I love means I have to find other ways to achieve the same goal, which is where I utilize sponsors. My last two mods and the current one have all been handled the same way. I decided what I wanted to do for the mod and then start looking at what products or companies I would like to work with. I then start in on the email process explaining what I am wanting to do and how its going to benefit them.

Either they will be interested or they wont. You will find out on the first reply you get (if you get one). The main things that are going to help a modder get sponsored is having the reputation and having a good means of showcasing the products. If you don't have one of those, your pretty much sunk from the start.

Primered

I don't go cold calling for the most part. I get inside contacts. If you really want to be sponsored get a rig on the front cover of a publication . . .does wonders. The downside to success is too many concurrent projects . . .arg. look at my worklogs and due dates . . .I am currently at the beach for a mini-vacation with the family . . .and I took a rig to work on . . .

Dang Tazz pretty much nailed that one...

To put it into terms that I can understand.... Whats in it for the sponsors? You have to tell them why they should and how they will get their product(s) showcased.

I think Americanfreak mentions in an earlier post he didn't even get to keep the stuff?
    True...every mod (except the Zotac mod) I have done since Lucid Dream has gone to companies or have been given away. BUT that has been my choice as I wanted to get Modders-Inc name out there. Now don't get me wrong I have always gotten something in return like a hardware and stuff, but nothing near the repayment of my time.

Master Modder

still af...you did build sum sweet mods which well they were well damn worthy of being sponsered! i agree with tazz though, even though you may be a good modder....unless ur well known then your guna struggle like hell.....

If I may submit a parable from the cycle racing industry. A friend of mine was racing on his own dollars for about two years. He started to come in 2nd and 3rd place a few times (as opposed to last). He was approached by a man from Dunlap who asked him how much Goodyear was paying him to run those tires. you see he had just bought a new set of goodyear's... To make a long story short, When he started to win, he got noticed and the manufactures came running.
    I think our "industry" has two problems. First there is no signiciant arena for us to compete yet-no modshop does not count since it gets pitaful traffic see:

http://tinyurl.com/58gcm3

Hopefully that will change with time.

Secondly, The midset of the marketing departments of these companies has some catching up to do. In a survey by www.imediaconnection.com (don't ask me to find it) marketing professionals were asked about how they view blogs and social makarting. overwhelmingly, most responded that they wanted to but didn't have the first clue as to going about it.

In my opinion, we need to get modding main stream. At least up to the robot wars standard. Ideally up to the orange county choppers level. If we can do that, I think a lot of things Stealth and Tazz are saying would become easier as the $flood gates are opened up.

Primered

Take a class in marketing . . .seriously.

To reply to Darth it don't hurt to educate yourself. I have been reading, listening and studying a lot about marketing and websites. You got to find that one thing that makes it click with people.

As for the 1500w statement on bringing up the level your right and we are hoping that the Nvision/CPU/M-I mod contest takes off as there are some BIG plan if it does. Like regional contest and the best of the best go to Nvision09 ;-)

But lets take a look at the OCC situation the Choppers are NOT the attraction it is actually the relationship between the father and his sons.

AM you are so right about OCC. There is seriously a personal appeal there. It doesn't hurt that choppers as a category are doing well. Funny how that works. Harley was a no name brand outside of the biker community until some rich kid (Forbes) started riding one. There for a while a HD was parked in every yuppie garage (no offense intended) right next to the BMW. Its almost scary how that works.

Primered

To reply to Darth it don't hurt to educate yourself. I have been reading, listening and studying a lot about marketing and websites. You got to find that one thing that makes it click with people.

As for the 1500w statement on bringing up the level your right and we are hoping that the Nvision/CPU/M-I mod contest takes off as there are some BIG plan if it does. Like regional contest and the best of the best go to Nvision09 ;-)

But lets take a look at the OCC situation the Choppers are NOT the attraction it is actually the relationship between the father and his sons.
    sweet. I love Nvidia and how they have treated me and my PDXLAN community, I love CPU Magazine and how they have treated me, PDXLAN, and the modding community in general, and I am beginning to love Modders-inc . . .such a great support system here and so professional . . .not to kiss too much ass tho . . .but the guys here so so humble . . .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information