I just read the article "what is happening to Modding"

I started off being a bit of a modder... Sure i did the duct tape and had two fans blowing down on my cpu back in the socket "A" days.... i think it cooled it like 4-5 degrees more than normal one fan...

I used to overclock my video card... Radeon 7000 it was... i got it for like 20 bucks. i got it to run the Half-life and halo... all of this on windows 98 ...

My sempron socket "A" 3000 running ddr 400 when it only supported ddr 333.... overclock of a few hundred mhz....
---------------------Sure that was modded...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nowadayz i dont have the patients anymore to tinker and toy.... I look at some people(which would have been me a few years ago) saving 150 bucks buying a cheaper CPU and overclocking it... But then i think how stable is it anywayz...

Especially with Dual Core Anthlons... I have a Operton 180 Now(same as x2 4800 toledo) ITs already running hot from default cpu Ghz... And my ram now runs at its maximum... ddr 400 mhz..
So thereZ no room for overclocking really?
If i would have gotten the more overclockable CPU, it would have been cheaper but my ram wouldnt overclock anywayz... and where do u see in stores ddr1 ram faster than 400mhz....

The default CPU cooler with the opteron 180 already has copper heat sink pipes.... Meaning they resolved to that in order to keep it cool at default? No room for an overclock mod....

DONT get me wrong... i did try overclocking... i pushed it a bit... got too many errors in full load intensive testing programs...(THE ones you leave running for hours)

The only mod i did do on this newupgrade computer which really isnt a mod... is add more case fans... lol Sure i used some Arctic Silver stuff on my CPU...but thats not modding anymore...

I got tonnes of Case Fans..More than a normal computer. So i still feel a little special.
I thought about putting some plumbing from the fan directlty to the fan that blows down on my cpu.....so all that fresh air hits the cpu...i seen this done but i am too lazy...

Dont get me started on WATER COOLING... ha! id rather spend my money on better hardware.....

The only thing i can do now is software mod... Get Windows Xp to less than 18 processes at the start...

So in-conclusion
Now adayz hardware i believe... is more finicky.. They already have it pushing the limits of air cooling... a little overclock can produce errors... Good hardware is too expensive to mod(ie watercooling)... risk damage and getting errors. If you bought the fastest and best...therez not much room for overclocking mods..
The errors happen at full intesive load...after several hours.

i remember the days when just thinking if my computer turns on... its good.
(btw i am making no claims that i own the fastest and best)