Thread: Glue for Acrylic

Glue for Acrylic

Whats the best way to glue acrylic? Bought some 18 x 24" sheets of .220" acrylic glass for my new case i'm building from the ground up. Wanting to know what I should use to attach the pieces.

In the past i've use small L brackets and small machine screws. Also for the Mobo I plan on just attacking it to one of the side pieces with out the use of a tray. I can just use brass stand off for the mobo screws correct? And not have to worry about grounding?

I wanna make sure I do this right because this case is for my FreeNAS server i'm building for my mass LAN storage. So any tips or thoughts on my idea would be great. Looking for some feed back.

Glue for Acrylic

Well to glue acrylic, its always best to use a solvent for that exact purpose. Example Delvies Plastics Cement. There are some two part epoxies I think as well.

I personally would still want to use the corner brackets, either aluminum or some plexi ones. I like having the option to totally dismantle the case rather than having it all glued.

Glue for Acrylic

Weld-On is the best. It just does not bound the pieces together it fuses (melts)them. You do have to be very careful to not get it where you don't want it it. That same company sells an applicator just for this purpose. Look at the bottom of the page Tazz posted. I will also tell you that the stuff will evaporate if the can is not sealed up tight.

Primered

Glue for Acrylic

Weld-On is the best. It just does not bound the pieces together it fuses (melts)them. You do have to be very careful to not get it where you don't want it it. That same company sells an applicator just for this purpose. Look at the bottom of the page Tazz posted. I will also tell you that the stuff will evaporate if the can is not sealed up tight.
    Don't listen to Americanfreak . . .use superglue . . I do

***Americanfreak stop giving away our secrets

Glue for Acrylic

I forgot where I read it but another alternative is to just make your own. If you set a bowl or something under your cutting area and collect clean shavings from the acrillic you want to glue, you can then take a small container of acetone, and sprinkle some in. Cover it and wait for a while for it to disolve and you have some great acrillic glue. Best part is you can add more or less shavings and you can end up with a glue that is very thick, or very thin. Anybody else do this?

Glue for Acrylic

I'll vouch for this, we use it at work to put awards together after we engrave on them.

Thread Information