Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thermaltake NVISION Display Case

Thermaltake NVISION Display Case

Well you guys are in for a bit of a treat tonight (or is it day already?). As most of you know, AF and I are heading over to NVISION next month. During the discussions on our workshop I was asked if I could do a simple mod for Thermaltake for a display case. My initial thought was "Crap! I really don't have the time to put in on another mod for the event". During the conversation, it was stated that it would only need to be something relatively simple.

The first thing that popped in my head was "hey, why not do like most other manufactures and do a simple Nvidia Themed case?" which would be pretty easy to pull off (thinking of the Cooler Master, Antec, etc cases that have been on the market for a while). While still talking things over I took a quick look at TT's site and decided that we would go with the XaserVI Series case.

We decided to use the all black version with the meshed sides. I really didn't have a lot to plan on doing this mod, other than doing a complete break down and some painting. So when it arrived at the door Thursday afternoon, I spent the majority of Thursday evening taking off every part. I had it down, and had all the parts ready to paint for Friday.

ww.modders-inc.com/images/Tazz/Xaser-Nvidia/Xaser-Nvidia-15.jpg">

I then spent Friday and Saturday going through the paint, sit, and wait process . By Saturday evening I had the majority of the parts painted and was able to start putting things back together while waiting for the other parts to dry.

I wanted a break from sanding and polishing aluminum anyways . I have roughly 2 weeks left to get my mod finished so I figured why the hell not just knock the majority of this mods work this weekend. The tid bits can be slipped in while I am in between jobs on my mod. I have one panel to sand, fit, and polish, another to sand and polish followed up with doing the case lighting and wiring. So I figured I would be tighter on time toward the end of that 2 week period than I am right now.

So here come the assembly pictures .

I went ahead and slipped in a couple of Green LEDs in place of the Blue ones on the upper front piece. There are a couple more under neath the cover on the top winged piece. If my LEDs make it in time, I will replace those as well.

So I went through tonight and did finished the reassembly of the case (at least the parts that I would be using). This is not a commissioned mod like the previous few that I have done. Its simply going to be the start of a mod that I will have showcased at their booth at Nvision. There was talks about giving it away at the event, but as of right now its going to have my E8400 build in it, so it wont go easily :twisted: .

I do plan to do a little more as time permits. I wanted to get the main parts done and have it ready to slip in the box just in case my mod takes me longer than I have planned. The event isn't till Aug 25th, but I will be leaving here on the 19th, and will be shipping my case out around the 11th. So It will totally depend on how things go from here on out. I plan to mount the hardware later today after I get up from a nap .

Master Modder

sweet, its looking good

Coolness, it Works for me! ... think there were enough parts to the case? lol

Thats works nicely bro!

Primered

This is not the workshop rig is it? The only you guys mod and the one Smooth Creations paints . . .

Also, how do you paint the interior of a case and make it scratch resistant? Everytime I do my own I end up messing it up when I install the hardware.

I love the contrast in your build . . . sweetness. I bet it looks cool under black lights baby.

Looks good Tazz
    It also shows what you can do to change the look of a case without modding the heck out of it .. granted that paint prep is time consuming, and a bit tedious, most people can do it.

Darth .. other than being careful to sand well (can use a sanding "scritchy pad" to make it easier) and carefully clean the surface before painting .. you might cover it with a coat or two of clear

Thanks guys. Ya this is relatively simple and pretty much a play off of the other Nvidia themed pre-mod cases.

This is not the workshop rig is it? The only you guys mod and the one Smooth Creations paints . . .

Also, how do you paint the interior of a case and make it scratch resistant? Everytime I do my own I end up messing it up when I install the hardware.
    No this is not the workshop mod. This is a totally separate case that is simply going to be a showcase piece for Thermaltake. Im simply building it, adding my hardware and loaning it to Thermaltake for the event. There will be more to this case in the long run after it returns home from the trip, but I aint letting that cat out of the bag yet .

Scratch resistant you say? LOL this is by no means scratch resistant, I have already touched a few places up . With there only being a 2 day span for the painting process, I obviously skipped a few steps in the process . I didn't clear over any of the green. To tell you the truth, I was assembling the parts with in 20 or so minutes of painting them.

It took me longer to take the thing apart and put it back together, than it did to actually paint the parts.

DB is correct though, properly prepping the bare metal before painting is the best possible solution. I did prime the case with self etching primer before spraying it though. Not liking the last batch of rattle can primer though. Seems like it doesn't want to adhere as good as some of the others I have used. I used plastikote this time and normally use duplicolor.

If you truly want to make the chassis as resistant to scratches as you can. Use the method that Bill (from MNPCTech) uses. Powder Coat that baby . One little trick I use on cases that I know are going to get used a bit for showing. I will take some of the clear packing tape and cover the areas where the parts are going to go metal (er paint to paint rather) metal. Example: The sides of the optical drive in my Green Flame mod are covered in clear tape so that I can easily slide the drive in and out without scratching the paint on the side .

Ya DB, lol if falls right into my "keep it looking like it could have been boughten that way" category .

Cool! You did a real nice job on this for a speedmod. I'm sure that thermaltake will be very pleased.

That looks great Tazz!

Wish I had the money to make a mod for envision before I go.

For appearence it looks awesome!

To possibly add a little for cooling performance I noticed that you had two fans on the bottom of the case, in my experience with my rig I had 1 fan on the bottom of the case which worked ok since there was only just under an inch of clearance from the fan to the floor, but after I relocated the fan to above the bottom level of the case like yours are instead of where it was which was mounted flush to the bottom of the case it seemed to give it about 2 inches air space from the bottom of the fan instead of only about 3 quarters of an inch and it seemed like it doubled the cfm of the fans instantly.

As a possible experiment when you have that rig running just place your hand over the fans to feel how much they are putting out and then tip the case to add more clearence to the floor and feel the difference which should be a major one. So if you plan on tweaking it for cooling performance you might want to add some kind of wheels or extended legs on the base to raise it higher off the ground.

As I said,...HUGE Difference.

Thanks guys, yes its pretty basic and simple. Time available will the deciding option of if I can do a little more to it or not. Monday morning Green Flame will take the lead again, then I will tinker on this one as I go. I am starting on the hardware installation tonight so I should have some more pics posted tomorrow.

Vashant, yup on the cooling. This case has a total of 6 fan mounts, so I am simply going to mount 6 fans in the stock position. I expect it to cool pretty good with all the mesh. I will be running a water cooling loop on the CPU so theres not going to be a lot of heat in the case at all. But the chassis does have a considerable amount of space from the bottom of the case to the desk, roughly 1.5" so it should allow plenty of air flow for now .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information