Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: CASE MOD: Spirit of the Dragon and the Tiger

CASE MOD: Spirit of the Dragon and the Tiger

This is a case mod project is for an individual inspired by these two masters of the martial arts. These masters are Ed Parker and Bruce Lee.

Quoted from Wikipedia

Edmund Parker
    (March 19, 1931–December 15, 1990) was an American martial artist, promoter, teacher, and author.
    Ed Parker's Bio on Wiki

Ed Parker’s American Kenpo or Kenpo Karate is a system of martial arts characterized by the use of quick moves in rapid-fire succession intended to overwhelm an opponent. It is largely marketed as a self-defense system, and is derived from traditional Southern Chinese kung fu and other martial arts found in the cultural melting pot of Hawaii. Parker introduced significant modifications in his art, including principles, theories, and concepts of motion as well as terminology, throughout his life. He left behind a large number of instructors who teach many different versions of American Kenpo.

Kenpo Creed

I come to you with only "KARATE" - empty hands. I have no weapons, but should I be forced to defend myself, my principles or my honor; should it be a matter of life or death, of right or wrong; then here are my weapons - "KARATE" - my empty hands.

- Ed Parker

Bruce Lee
    (November 27, 1940 – July 20, 1973) was an American-born martial artist, philosopher, instructor, martial arts actor and the founder of the Jeet Kune Do martial arts system, widely regarded as the most influential martial artist of the twentieth century and a cultural icon.
    Bruce Lees Bio on Wiki

Lee was born in San Francisco, California and raised in Hong Kong. His Hong Kong and Hollywood-produced films elevated the traditional Hong Kong martial arts film to a new level of popularity and acclaim, and sparked the first major surge of interest in Chinese martial arts in the West. The direction and tone of his films changed and influenced martial arts and martial arts films in Hong Kong and the rest of the world as well. Lee became an iconic figure particularly to the Chinese, as he portrayed Chinese national pride and Chinese nationalism in his movies.[2] Many see Lee as a model blueprint for acquiring a strong and efficient body and the highest possible level of physical fitness, as well as developing a mastery of martial arts and hand to hand combat skills. He primarily practiced Chinese martial arts (Kung Fu).

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.”

- Bruce Lee

The case is Lian Li's PC-7 plus. It is in my opinion the best aluminum midtower case for modding. It's simple design makes a perfect blank canvas. It's also manufactured using superior stamping methods and materials. This means you can alter it by adding additional fan holes and windows without entirely compromising it's durability.

Lian Li PC-7 plus

I'm installing an 120mm intake in the floor of our Lian Li's chassis

We first apply 3M Green (low tack) Painters tape before marking off the fan hole location. We're using a 120mm steel fan guard as out template for the fan hole with a measuring square.

The fan guard allows you to mark the center of the fan hole.

Using center punch to pin point center before using 1-1/2" hole saw attachment to accommondate Knockout shaft.

After cutting 1-1/2" hole for Greenlee knockout shaft.

Greenlee Knockout Punch for 120mm fan holes

Tightening Knockout Punch with Socket Wrench

Removed portion of chassis (120mm hole)

A Clean cut, no need to file burrs created by a 4.5" hole saw

Using Roper Whitney Hand Punch to cut fan screw mounting holes

Another clean cut fan hole!

We're now ready to install the 120mm cooling fan, The chassis is elevated
    with Machined Aluminum "Diamond Knurl" Case Feet

I've installed the 120mm cooling fan as an intake, (drawing cool air into chassis) I will attach a filter beneath the fan, otherwise your fan will draw in a lot of dust.

Next I went over to Brad's shop to prep and paint the chassis with a new coat of Mazda Miata Yellow with some House of Kolor Pearl ...

Lian Li PC-7plus (aluminum chassis)

CLARKE brand 80 grit media

Filling CLARKE ABRASIVE BLASTER with 80 Grit Garnet Blasting Media

Brad blasting surface of computer chassis outdoors. You need to cover your face and skin from this stuff!

After blowing off the chassis of any remaining blasting media, we clean the surface with a Tack cloth.

Brad applies the first of 3 coats of Mazda Miata Yellow

mg src="" alt="" />

The final coat is House of Kolor Pearl

After HoK Pearl, Brad applies the clearcoat.

After the clear is applied, the color and pearl really pops!

I'll be posting a video explaining each step of painting the chassis this week

It's a good day for modding that's for sure. Sweet start!

Master Modder

Ga ... U.S.A.

Very very nice!! Love the color. ....Great to see someone else that uses blasting also, best way I have found for the chassis.

no doubt, august is always a huge month for me... it's coming in like a lion.. I'm starting to stress a bit... lol

Looking great. So the blasting removes the anodizing? I've got a pc-6x that needs its finish removed to make way for paint.

Love the pearl.... Can't wait to see this one finished .

Hmmm, haven't tried it yet brightlights, but I'd bet so

Heres the sketch for the 250mm fan grill for the side panel, I posted this (guide to installing Thermaltake 250mm cooling fan) in a computer side panel.

The tentative plan was to use the HAAS mill to cnc the ring and dragon as seperate pieces from 3/16" thick 6061 aluminum, but the design is too intricate for the mill. I've been on the phone talking with some local laser cutting outfits, none of them can laser aluminum, but I can have it done in in steel and paint it..

The delivery day for this case is next Thursday, so I don't have a lot of time to research all of my options for local resources.. when this happens, you decide on the best solution for the situation... right now I'm waiting for a call back quote on cutting it in 14 gauge steel

For cuts aluminum would have to use Water jet cutter, correct?

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information