Thread: Concentric: rebirth

Concentric: rebirth

I did this mod about a month ago, and it wasn't until a couple months ago that I discovered that the case is called the raidmax elite and can still be purchased. Huh. I originally was going to do it for my teacher, but weather delayed the project and he wanted his comp back more than me wanted a custom case. So I completed it anyway and gave it to my parents.

Here's the stock case:

The front bezel had a space for a casebadge, but I did not have one to put there, so I used spot filler to fill the hole:

After like 5 coats:

About bondo-type products: they shrink. Each time I would put a full coat of spot filler on, only to return to have like 4 giant cracks! In the end I still wasn't able to get it fully stealthed, so I guess that I'll be finding a case badge after all. Next time I think that I'll go with fiberglass.

Sanded and prepped for paint:

Note the parts where the paint gets rubbed off. That had ill effects later .

Here's my supplies:

I ended up not using the airbrushing stuff, but this was my first case painted using auto paint. I used the OMNI series of paints by PPG.

My makeshift paint booth:

I made it out of thick painter's plastic, 2x2's, and old playground equipment. If I don't use a booth, my workpiece gets covered in debris from the trees. Even with the booth there is still lint and stuff that blows in, but that's still an improvement over pine cones :P.

Painting the case:

I accidentally scratched the paint, but I did a second coat and it was covered.

Auto paint dries fast! You can sand it after a few hours, depending on the paint of course. I didn't sand between coats for this project, though I probably should have. Anyway. Next come graphics.

That front bezel was a pain!

I drew out concentric circles using a beam compass, then cut them out with an exacto knife.

I was pretty pissed after my plans changed and I had to rip off all of the masking from the front bezel. Ugh.

I painted it with silver, then clear coated the whole thing with a special epoxy clear. The approaching darkness put me in a bit of a rush, so I didn't take pics .

Overall I'm very happy with the end result. I think that I got some settings wrong (air pressure, paint mixture, ???), as the end finish was sort of a semi-textured matte. I didn't sand between coats, which definitely added to the issue, but isn't it supposed to come out smooth? I mean, a matte finish is a nice departure from most of what's out there, but next time I'd like to go for a higher gloss. The only other issue is that the paint chipped away from the spots where I sanded off the undercoat. If I had primed that wouldn't have been an issue, but as it it I'll just have to touch it up with a brush. Let me know what you think!

l love the circles!

Very nice! Tastefully done, not over powering yet custom.

Ga ... U.S.A.

Hey cool design, looks great.

Master Modder

sweet idea nice one looks real cool!

Thanks guys, I try :P.

Friend brightshininglights,

very good is its painting

Thread Information