Thread: Powdercoat Question

Powdercoat Question

So I'm finishing up my new case and Its approaching time to add some color. Due to the nature of the case, It's going to need to be a very durable finish, because I know the normal spray paint I've used in the past will get lots of scratches really fast. I've never done this before so I really know nothing about it. One problem that I'm anticipating is that on a couple parts I've used bondo to smooth out some some parts. The rest of the case is steel. Can this even be powdercoated? If not what are my other options here? I'm happy to be limited in the colors, thats not a problem, I'm actually thinking of just black. Also, can someone prep me on what I might expect to pay for this? It's made of 3 main pieces, and 2 very small pieces, and together a little bigger than a standard case. And lastly, does anybody know of a good place to get this done in the LA area, particulary in the Valley?

Thanks guys.

Powdercoat Question

hey, not sure if you got an answer already, i see no one has replied. i would suggest a 2-stage paint (base coat w/ clear coat). thats how cars are painted and they are super durable. and less expensive, take your pc to a body shop, find the painter and ask if he does sidework...easy enuff

now, bout powdercoating, i am not sure, but i think if you can get the powder to stick to the bondo, it should work. That will probly be the hardest part, as I know they use some type of "charge" to the metal to help the powder stay on.

Powdercoat Question

So I'm finishing up my new case and Its approaching time to add some color. Due to the nature of the case, It's going to need to be a very durable finish, because I know the normal spray paint I've used in the past will get lots of scratches really fast. I've never done this before so I really know nothing about it. One problem that I'm anticipating is that on a couple parts I've used bondo to smooth out some some parts. The rest of the case is steel. Can this even be powdercoated? If not what are my other options here? I'm happy to be limited in the colors, thats not a problem, I'm actually thinking of just black. Also, can someone prep me on what I might expect to pay for this? It's made of 3 main pieces, and 2 very small pieces, and together a little bigger than a standard case. And lastly, does anybody know of a good place to get this done in the LA area, particulary in the Valley?

Thanks guys.
    Powder coating is more durable than B/C C/C. But, it can not be used over Bondo or body filler. If you use a product like labmetal that can be powder coated since it can take a electrical charge and the 390 degree's of heat during the baking process. I hope that helps

Powdercoat Question

Powder coating is more durable because it's bonded electrical and thermally to the metal. My preference though would be to do what r3dr suggested and use a body shop which can offer you more choices and even custom paint/colors/designs. The clearcoat finish is what provides you with protection on sprayed paint. A minimum of 2-3 coats will normally do pretty good but you may want to look at 4-5-6-7 if your looking for that super high gloss sheen.

Since your mod included bondo, you can do a one way job with spray painting/clearcoating or use the labmetal to prepare it for powder coating. I doubt either will be very cheap so it depends on your own personal preference.

On the spray painting market there are also 3 newer creations:

1) The color changing which reflects light according to the angle you look at it and appears to change colors. not sure how well that would work on a stationary computer case?
    Example Ibanez Joe Satriani Anniversary Edition JS1000, here's a link http://www.ibanezrules.com/images/gallery/js90.jpg if it works correctly you can click on the bottom picture and see how it changes from green to purple, there are other color schemes that can be used with this type paint also.

2) The temperature changing paint whereby a color is used and if heat or coolness is applied to it, the color is radically changed in the area most effected. Not sure this is really practical since the coloring is very sharply defined and doesn't bleed or blend very well as I'd like.

3) There is also allegedly a true glow in the dark paint that's being used on cars now that depending on the time lapse VS intensity, might work great for UV lighting of a case? I've not seen it firsthand yet to be able to talk about how long it lasts or how well it appears.

Just some options to consider

Powdercoat Question

NazDar Superset Thermo set.
    CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFO.
    It is a screen printing ink, but can be sprayed.
    Needs to be baked at 350 degrees for 15 minutes.
    This ink actually crystal lines itself into the substrate.
    I use it on outside aluminum signs that need to
    stand all whether elements and intense UV
    exposure. Bondo cover up should be no problem.
    Use two coats and bake separately.
    Bullet proof! I guarantee it! USE A MASK when spraying.

Powder coat will fall off of the bondo and all urethane's
    will be susceptible to scratching. You might try two
    part epoxies, but they are difficult to work with.
    (Similar to truck bed liners)

Powdercoat Question

Is there product patent pending? I couldn't find anything but .pdf files and pics of their cans.
    No finished displays or promotional stuff at all.

Powdercoat Question

I have used it for about ten years now.
    Great stuff!
    You might have to dig deeper into screen printing, because
    its primary use is printing graphics onto powder coated
    materials.
    They say it air dries, but I find it will only dry/cure with
    heat, and I double the heat time.
    I get mine from Midwest Screen & Supply.
    LINK IS HERE

Powdercoat Question

Wow these guys are on the cutting edge of a lot of good products. Thanks, great link.

Thread Information