Thread: Lan Party Questions

Lan Party Questions

So I am planning to go to nvision, primarily for the mod contest but I was hoping to have some fun as well. Anyway, It's my first Lan party type event and I have no idea what to expect. So here are some questions I have are probably pretty stupid, so bear with me.

1. It looks like its assigned seating right, Or do you just go in there and find a seat?

2. How do you deal with leaving the area? As the event is more than a day long, do you just leave your stuff there, or do you pack your stuff up and set up again the next day?

3. Is there like, any sort of organization to these things, or do you just go in, see what games people are playing and just kind up start playing.

I'm a complete n00b, sorry guys.

Lan Party Questions

1. Normally it is open seating, but there are times that groups will ask a head of time to be able to seat together specially if one or members are going to be coming at a later time

2. You leave your stuff. Depending on the size of the LAN they could have you fill out a "This is what I am bringing in with me" form and they will check it against what you have. During the event you are not allow to take any PC stuff in or out with being rechecked. Not on the list, your not going out with it.

3. LOL...yes and no the good ones have tourneys planned out and then most of the other games played are what ever you find on the network. The most played that I have ever seen at some LANs if the "File Trading" game...

Lan Party Questions

Thanks for the reply. I would think that would be pretty scarry just leaving ur rig sitting there when you head back to your hotel. I dont think id be able to sleep! Oh, and AF, I sent you a pm a while ago that could use a reply when you get a chance.

Lan Party Questions

Stealth... It is scary... But after the first time you will see that everything is still in place and ready to go . Out of the few large LANs that AF and I have been to, I have only heard of small things that have been taken, something that could be stuck in a pocket.

I pretty much just stuck my headphones and mouse behind the monitor so it would be out of site. If your worried about something walking off out of your rig. You might look at slipping some non standard screws in place of the stock side panel screws or adding a lock deal on the back (which is more common on the newer cases).

Lan Party Questions

Also, watch for creepy guys with thumb drives. Who want to install their stress testing programs they wrote hehe. Wonder if he was at QC this year? That sure brings back memories for me. Oh and I wasn't the creepy guy either. lol

Lan Party Questions

Perhaps I should just take The Desk!!! If someone can manage to slip away with it they probaboly deserve it.

Lan Party Questions

Also, watch for creepy guys with thumb drives. Who want to install their stress testing programs they wrote hehe. Wonder if he was at QC this year? That sure brings back memories for me. Oh and I wasn't the creepy guy either. lol
    OMG I forgot about that dude! ...LOL

I wonder if he made it back again this year?

You'll get over the fear espcially if you are going to NVISION08. I am sure they will have plenty security and have check points in place. It would be crazy for them not as it has their reputation riding on it.

Even at small local LANs you get a common community together and it pretty much becomes a brotherhood quickly and if some where to try and take something, well I just would not want to be that person.

Maybe a few of the guys here that go to PDX Lans help calm you as to how they handle the events. PDX happens a few times a year and they very large turn outs and I think they probably have it nailed down pretty well.

Primered

Lan Party Questions

So I am planning to go to nvision, primarily for the mod contest but I was hoping to have some fun as well. Anyway, It's my first Lan party type event and I have no idea what to expect. So here are some questions I have are probably pretty stupid, so bear with me.

1. It looks like its assigned seating right, Or do you just go in there and find a seat?

2. How do you deal with leaving the area? As the event is more than a day long, do you just leave your stuff there, or do you pack your stuff up and set up again the next day?

3. Is there like, any sort of organization to these things, or do you just go in, see what games people are playing and just kind up start playing.

I'm a complete n00b, sorry guys.
    You have assigned seating which you choose when you register. I have never been to a LAN where you just pick a seat except my house LANs. I leave my stuff but I make sure I make friends with everyone around me. Don't leave easily taken things out in the open tho. Nvision will have security in place. There are tournaments which schedules. I STRONGLY suggest you go to their website and forums to get more information. Asking here really is not your best bet when you have a particular event in mind as each event has their own routines.

The most important thing is to have a great attitude and be prepared to make friends. I find the best way to break the ice is to compliment someone on their rig. You can ALWAYS find something good to day and be genuine about it.

I am in the D3 section sitting with the guy who will win the mod contest Stop by.

Thread Information