Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Project Goatwhore

Project Goatwhore

Hello folks! This is a mod I started a while back and kinda got stalled out on due to lack of funds and time. It will house my server running FreeNAS.

Since Goatwhore is my favorite band I decided to create a tribute case to these guys. This will not be the fastest setup but it will be the first in a series of metal tribute cases. Hopefully I won't disappoint anyone.
    If you want to check them out, here are some links: Official site and Goatwhore on Myspace

The case:
    This is a Inland MATX Micro-Tower Case with Front USB and Audio Ports

_____

Project Goatwhore

Ok let's catch up all that I've already done.

I have a Goatwhore jacket and on the pockets there are chaos symbols. Figured that would make for a different window cutout so I ran with the idea.

Taped up and drawn out

and cut out

The bottom half of the window didn't turn out as good as I wanted so, I have some ideas to change it up a bit later on.

Then I moved on to the chassis.

cut out the grill on rear fan for better air flow and added some u channel to smooth it up

Then I painted the chassis satin black

Also cut a blowhole in the top

_____

Project Goatwhore

Now that we're up to date I'll show you what I've done in the past few days.

Even though I'm a noob at it, I wanted to do some etching. So here goes the first attempt...

started with this image

inverted the colors and flipped the image then printed it and taped it on my acrylic.

kinda hard to get any pics during so here's some finished pics...don't mind the dust and fingerprints

this one was done with my dremel using this bit

_____

Project Goatwhore

I like the results with the dremel but it doesn't look as smooth as I wanted. While checking out some other worklogs, I saw this guy using an engraver and he was getting the results I wanted. So off to Home Depot I go and I came home with a new toy

It took me a few minutes to get used to it but man oh man at the difference in the results this baby puts out. Here's what I've done with it so far.

started with this image

same story...inverted colors, flipped image, printed & taped it on some acrylic.

outline done

shading in

and this is where I'm at right now. gotta go finish shading in. here's a few more pics

more soon...
    _____

Project Goatwhore

Nice work. The etching is very nice. Never heard the band but the name of it makes me laugh. Case looks like it's going to be nice.

Project Goatwhore

Thanks for the compliment...means a lot coming from you

just a quickie update

finished the etch

_____

Master Modder

Project Goatwhore

hm, do you have any idea why you got better results with the engraver?? im going to be doing some engraving work soon and i would be using my dremel...but that looks alot neater doesnt it! nice work btw im ashamed of myself for missing such engraving work!!

Project Goatwhore

Thanks man. Glad ya like it.

Think of the Dremel Rotary as a Sharpie, and the engraver as a sharpened pencil. This also goes for the amount of time per etch too. The engraver takes longer but gives much better results. I'll be building a light box to do my etching on soon. Lighting is definitely key when etching. I think having the lighting coming from beneath the etch will improve my results even more.

$20 at Home Depot......well worth it to me.

_____

Project Goatwhore

Sittin, Thinkin & Drinkin

I've been coming up with ideas today. I watched a few videos that Ed Hubbs did then went and tried a few of em out. The techniques I tried worked like a charm. I believe I got the paint scheme for this project nailed down after some sweat, paint fumes & alcoholic beverages :lol: No pics right now but, it's gonna be cool when it's finished.

Also been tossing around some ideas about the cut out on the side panel. I want to keep part of the chaos symbol but, I'm not happy with the bottom portion of it. So, I laid some painters tape on and drew out a design. I'd like to get some other opinions on it cause I'm not completely sold on what I came up with. Instead of trying to fill in the vents, I want to cut them out with the window too. Here's what I came up with so far...

If you have an idea that might look better, tell me cause I'm afraid this one might end up looking kinda cheesy.

Also made a banner today...

stay tuned...
    _____

Master Modder

Project Goatwhore

hm, i might just have to invest in a rotary tool then...back to your project, i would agree with cutting the vents out although i coudlnt comment on your design as i have no idea of your personal taste, but personaly if it was me, i would proberly try a few other designs first, then i would look at all my designs and pick the best one

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information